Fall rush may gain ballot spot

Student Council will vote next week on a referendum that would allow students to voice their opinion on fall rush.

If passed, the referendum will go on the Council ballot in the spring elections, which begin Feb. 28.

It states, "We, the Student Body, affirm our commitment to the principles of student self-governance and in accord with the recommendations of the Inter-Fraternity Council and the First Year Council concerning Fall Rush, and request that decisions concerning Rush dates be determined by the students."

College Council Rep. Nathan A. Cook said he is sponsoring the referendum because of his concern for student self-governance.

"Representing students' interests is what Student Council is supposed to be all about, and this referendum is a great way to do that," Cook said.

• Student Council homepage
  •  

Council President Taz Turner said the referendum is a good way to get the students' final word on the issue of fall rush, which has been the subject of debate for two years.

Turner said he thinks the referendum has a good chance of passing in Council because members support self-governance.

Vice President for Administration Brock Jolly said he also supports the referendum.

"I don't necessarily think that having this referendum will automatically change the rush date, but it will be used as a bargaining tool with administrators," Jolly said. "I see the pros and cons of both sides of the issue but do not agree with the faculty and administrators' deciding for the students."

The debate over fall rush started when former Dean of Students Robert T. Canevari decided in April 1998 to change fraternity rush to the spring against the wishes of the Inter-Fraternity Council, Student Council and First Year Council.

Since Canevari revoked fall rush privileges, the IFC has made two efforts to open up discussions with the Office of the Dean of Students, once with Canevari and again with current Dean of Students Penny Rue.

Both times the requests for discussions have been denied, IFC President Wes Kaupinen said.

"We are extremely pleased with Student Council for addressing the concerns of the Fraternity Council," Kaupinen said.

Inter-Sorority Council President Margaret Dumas said the ISC supports the referendum .

In order for the referendum to be on the ballot in the spring, it must pass Student Council by a two-thirds vote or be signed by 900 students.