'The Beach' finds DiCaprio lost at sea

You'd think that a movie with a major celebrity, exotic locations and lots of recreational drug use might make for some worthwhile filmmaking and profound ideas. You'd be wrong.

Unfortunately for "The Beach" -- a superficially beautiful film directed by Danny Boyle of "Trainspotting" fame -- white sands, crystal blue waters and ravishing main characters cannot compensate for a lack of substance.

The movie starts off on the wrong foot when we are introduced to Richard, the cocky narrator (Leonardo DiCaprio). Given the charisma he demonstrated in "Titanic," his last leading film role, his undistinguished portrayal of Richard is rather surprising. He was clearly the film's greatest asset, and his lack of magnetism makes "The Beach" all washed up.

Quick Cut
Movie: "The Beach"
Directed by: Danny Boyle
Featuring:
Leonardo DiCaprio
Virginie Ledoyen
Grade: C-

After a few raunchy episodes on the streets of Bangkok, Richard stumbles across the cadaver of a Scottish hotel mate who has committed suicide. During this encounter, Richard discovers a map of the titular island, an exotic yet mysterious beach not to be found on any other map.

Suddenly, Richard's fascination with the beach transforms him into an adventurous explorer, impelling him to recruit neighboring French tourists Francoise (Virginie Ledoyen) and Etienne (Guillaume Canet) for his expedition.

In just one of the film's many implausibilities, Richard challenges the couple to join him on his attempt to surpass the boundaries of ho-hum tourism. Oddly enough, the couple, who has only spoken with the suddenly enthused traveler once or twice, agrees to accompany him.

And the disbelief continues.

After an obligatory love scene with the beautiful Francoise, everyone in the community, including the femme fatale's boyfriend, discovers the pair's clandestine romance. After an initial bout with anger and jealousy, Etienne resigns himself to the situation, watching the romance continue in order to keep Francoise happy.

Another main problem in this movie is poor timing. The film immediately dives into the most exciting part of the story without coming up for air, leaving audiences to endure a slow and painful suffocation as a result of a deteriorating plot.

Related Links

• Official Website for "The Beach"

•  

The anticipation of the trio's arrival to the island adds a needed element of suspense to the film. However, the only traces of excitement are generated by a potentially dangerous swim to the isle's secluded shores and an extended visit to a marijuana farm guarded by gun-toting guerillas.

Richard and his French companions discover an established community of hedonists upon reaching the beach. As the traveling trio becomes a part of the exclusive group, "The Beach" seems like 1980's "The Blue Lagoon" set at a hippie commune. Uninteresting and unbelievable story lines lead to ludicrous attempts at creativity and contrived plot twists.

"The Beach" strips an apparent utopia down to a society replete with deceit and cult-like thinking. Once the movie begins to dig its own hole, moral questions and philosophical ideas abound in an entirely out-of-context way, detracting from the film's attempt at seriousness.

If the characters were more identifiable and multi-dimensional, the deeper issues of the film might be taken more seriously. However, the grossly miscast DiCaprio's Richard is bland and flat, with no drive and no clue, making his character an unconvincing soul searcher and uninspired tourist.

One of the film's main ideas seems to comment on deceptive appearance, to say that despite an attractive front, danger might lurk beneath the surface. It warns to steer clear of something that looks perfect, because it just may be too good to be true.

Ironically, as it moves along its own shallow and frivolous path, "The Beach" forgets to pay heed to its own advice.