Freshman wrestler takes pair of titles

Freshman heavyweight wrestler Josh Etu took first place in both the University Greco-Roman and University Freestyle Championships at the 2000 University National Championships last weekend.

By defeating Oregon State's Andy Bowlby, a top-10 Olympic prospect, for the Greco-Roman title, Etu became the first wrestler in Virginia history to win the University National Championships.

Etu went on to best Ohio All-American Tim Courtad to take the freestyle title.

Overall, Etu went 3-0 in Greco-Roman competition and 5-0 in freestyle matches in the tournament held at Northwestern University. He will compete in the Greco-Roman style at U.S. Nationals in Las Vegas April 20-22. Finishing in the top eight will earn Etu an automatic invitation to compete in the Olympic Trials.

Squashing Camel toes

• Virginia Wrestling
  • Cavalier Daily's Expanded Softball Coverage
  •  

McKnight of valor

The ACC named Virginia attackman Drew McKnight Men's Lacrosse Player of the Week after he scored five goals and contributed three assists in two games. The senior is sixth in the nation and first in the conference in scoring, averaging 5.13 points per game. He also leads the ACC in assists and is tied for eighth in the nation with an average of 2.5 per game.

The No. 2 Cavaliers defeated Radford 15-3 April 4 with the help of Mc-

Knight, who assisted on Virginia's first goal and scored another himself. In the Cav win over No. 10 North Carolina Saturday, McKnight led the team with four goals and two assists, lending a hand in six out of nine total goals for the Cavaliers.