Fitting in from out of state

WHEN MY college acceptance letters arrived, I quickly weeded out those expensive schools and my state school and got to two choices: here and Rice. Rice was small but was in my hometown. I liked the University, but it was far away. I finally took my aunt's advice to "get the hell out of Dodge."

But by mid-July my bravery faded. As an out-of-state student I wouldn't know anybody, and that scared me. My parents left me in tears, convinced that I would be miserable. It was a little lonely at times, but now I'm a happy, healthy and (usually) sane third year. Everybody is a little lonely in the beginning of college, especially non-Virginians. The loneliness we experience, however, is short-lived and often a needed impetus for personal growth.

Most students made the transition from elementary to secondary school with people from the same neighborhood. That may be comfortable, but often it stifles opportunities for growth and change. Old friendships survive, but so do old cliques and old grudges.

College, on the other hand, shakes up your life in a positive way. Yes, there are times when you want to go where everybody knows your name. But if there were times in high school where you felt boxed in by what everybody thinks they know about you, now's your chance to escape it.

Many non-Virginians worry about being excluded by Virginians. I've found the opposite to be true. Being an outsider means that you don't have old images of the people surrounding you. That's refreshing, especially to the kids from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology. Being an outsider means having different experiences and opinions to share, and people find this interesting.

In the beginning, I tired of explaining that not everybody in Texas has a twang, and this year's constant questioning about my opinion of George W. Bush got old. But at least it gives me a unique perspective to share.

True, I sometimes felt bewildered by my outsider status. But when I realized it didn't matter to anyone else, I stopped caring. I learned to join conversations based on common interests instead of common geography.

Coming from outside Virginia meant that instead of relying on familiar patterns, I sought out what interested me, and not what I felt expected to like. This experience paid off later. Working at the Capitol and living in a strange dorm this summer was much easier for me than for fellow Texas interns who went to college in Texas.

No matter where you're from, adjusting to the University is easier if you start exploring early on. A critical part of fall orientation is the activity fair. It may seem a little daunting, but this is a great time to see what's at the University without committing to anything.

Many people don't pay much attention to the bulletin boards outside classes or in the dining hall, but they're a great source of information. Organizations post the locations of their meetings and any special events they have. Go to things that look interesting -- it's not a commitment to membership. Whenever you're leaving Cabell Hall for the day or waiting for the elevator in the library, spend a couple minutes reading the flyers.

Service activities also provide opportunities to meet people and learn more about Charlottesville in general. Madison House serves as an umbrella organization for every kind of service possible, from helping kids with science fair projects to adopting grandparents. Through these activities you not only provide assistance to others, but also get to know other University students through carpools and orientations.

Employment also provides an excellent way to connect to your new surroundings. Don't work the first semester unless that's how you're getting through college. But after that, a five-to-10-hour-a-week job can provide not only a little spending cash, but also another forum for meeting people. Support services such as the library system and Dining Services constantly need student workers. Some professors and departments have student workers. Nearby merchants on the Corner or at Barracks Road also provide employment opportunities.

Entering college is naturally an intimidating prospect. But so is any type of change. New life experiences are what force us to grow and what make us interesting as people. Thomas Jefferson's University welcomes everyone, whether from McLean or Montana, with or without an accent.

(Elizabeth Managan is a Cavalier Daily columnist.)