Odds and Ends

Professors simulate last lecture

For many students, especially fourth-years, spring has become synonymous with the word "last." Last paper, last meal from the Pav, and of course, last class.

But on Monday, three distinguished University professors will have an opportunity for their own "last" memory.

Even though they are not retiring, Richard Drayton, Mitchell Green and Richard Wilson will lecture as if for the last time at 8 p.m. at the University Chapel, as part of the Last Lecture Series.

The series, now in its 11th year, provides a forum for professors to address students with the passion and content of a final lecture.

Third-year College student Deborah Pink, who co-chaired the selection committee for the series, said that this year's speakers represent a broad spectrum of academia.

"It doesn't matter what department they're from," Pink said. "Sometimes they give just advice for life and tell stories. Who knows what they are going to speak on. It's always a nice surprise."

Assoc. Philosophy Prof. Green said he has thought a lot about the topic of his speech.

"I think it's going to be about the meaning of life," he said.

Wilson, chairman of the architectural history department, expressed slightly more anxiety about giving his lecture.

"It's scary," Wilson said. "And, is this supposed to be it?"

Wilson, who has been teaching at the University since 1976, said he could not be quite sure that his lecture will encompass the same material as his truly last lecture.

"All lectures have to some degree, if they're any good, some entertainment value and some performance," he said. "I hope in an academic setting they have more than that - content, thought, and help people view things in a new way and think about things in a different way. Those would be the things that would guide me for my last lecture."

Still, Wilson said it is difficult to know what exactly he would say in his very last lecture.

"I'm viewing it in a serious way but it's hard to say, 'God I'd never say anything more than that again,'" Wilson said.

- Julia Salasky