Seeking a better way to debate

FLIERS on Grounds went up right before Spring Break about "End Violence Against Children Week." That sounded reasonable. But then the same group began the week with a barrel of plastic replicas of fetuses in the middle of the sidewalk. Last week's anti-abortion protests were both deceitful and tasteless, and serve only to further polarize the abortion debate.

Let's start by getting something straight. I have some real moral issues with abortion, but politically I am pro-choice for the same reason I've never written columns about it: I think it's a private issue, not a political one. So some of you will, therefore, assume that I only am writing this column out of spite, but you're wrong. There are people I respect who are explicitly pro-life. People on both sides and in between have the right to advocate their opinions. But they need to express them reasonably.

For those who missed it, a group of students put up fliers for speakers connected with "End Violence Against Children Week." This sounds like an event put on by groups who advocate child welfare, like the Children's Defense Fund. But then it goes on to announce a vigil for "victims of abortion." Other fliers compare abortion to a modern holocaust.

• The Ultimate Pro-Life Resource List
  • Pro-Choice Resource Center
  • There are three problems with these fliers. One, the name "End Violence Against Children Week" is ambiguous and confusing. Something more honest like "End Abortion Week" would be more appropriate.

Equally misleading is the fact that these fliers don't make it obvious who's behind them. Most people have never heard of the Jefferson Leadership Foundation, a name that doesn't reveal much about the organization's purpose. Most people who saw the protest table on the Lawn weren't even aware of who these people are. By being evasive, the protesters allowed people to become confused. A person not acquainted with First Right, the mainstream CIO opposed to abortion, might think that they were behind this, possibly damaging their reputation.

The third problem with these fliers were their references to the Holocaust, also known as the attempted extermination of Jews during World War II. Comparing legal abortion to the Holocaust devalues the Holocaust and compares anyone not firmly in the pro-life camp to mass murderers. Surely the Jefferson Leadership Foundation doesn't believe that women who choose abortion bear malice against their fetuses.

The protest itself was absolutely tasteless and served no real purpose. Placing a trash barrel of plastic fetuses in the middle of the sidewalk is disgusting. It is not an argument, but instead attempts to reach people through their disgust. Actions like this do not do anything to change the deeply held opinions most people have on abortion.

Some people reading this may argue that abortion is murder, so any images are justified by bringing out the moral discomfort many have with abortion. But this is a fallacy. Anti-sexual assault groups on Grounds often say that nobody is really pro-rape but most aren't sufficiently aware of the problem. But the Sexual Assault Resource Agency would never conduct tabling by putting up giant pictures of the injuries of rape victims because it's tasteless.

Before it gets too smug, though, the pro-choice movement has certainly had its moments. Extreme pro-choicers have been known at times to accuse anti-abortion groups of wanting to keep women subordinated, when many simply feel that the fetus has a greater moral claim than the mother.

However, so far this week's response by pro-choice groups has been responsible. Petitions are out to allow people to send their opinions to their senators, as well as information on Planned Parenthood's mission. Fliers on Grounds have featured non-inflammatory quotes from groups like Republicans for Choice and Catholics for Choice.

It needs to stay this way. Pro-choice groups need to avoid putting out barrels of coathangers or pictures of botched illegal abortions, which would be equally tasteless and would deserve criticism as well.

It was disappointing not to see criticism of this protest by First Right. It is important to hear from reasoned pro-lifers who feel that this is not the way to conduct a debate. The debate over abortion gets uglier every year. The only way to defuse this is for reasoned people on both sides to condemn divisive rhetoric from people on the fringes and point reasoned arguments at the undecided.

The fliers put up by anti-abortion groups last week were misleading, and their protest only served to disgust people. It did not win over anybody not already in their camp, and actually weakened their position. In four years at this university I have never before seen such a disturbing protest on abortion and I hope I never do again.

(Elizabeth Managan's column appears Wednesdays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at emanagan@cavalierdaily.com.)