Avoiding the ghosts of '94

"WHETHER Democrats know it or not, voters are not clamoring for imitation Republicans," wrote New York Times columnist Bob Herbert on Nov. 20, 1994, a few weeks after the Republicans romped their way to power in the House. Unfortunately, the reeling Democrats ignored Herbert's plea and pitched to the right, a winning strategy that has kept them out of power for a full decade. It is encouraging to see the Democrats once again engaged in a period of introspection after last week's drubbing, but they must avoid the pitfalls of 1994 if they are to change in positive ways.

The parallels between 1994 and 2004 are more than surface deep: Then-Rep. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., summed up the source of the Democrats' woes in a sentence we are hearing from pundits every day: "We lost sight of the average American." Just as the reaction a decade ago was to act more conservative, so too today are suggestions pouring in that Sen. Kerry should have used more religious language and appeals to morality. Yet you cannot out-religious right the religious right any more than you can out-conservative the conservatives; the key lies in figuring out how they are beating you and molding it to your own values, not adopting theirs.

A perfect illustration of this disconnect can be seen in the Democrats' handling of the gay marriage debate. While the Republicans were talking about the sanctity of marriage in terms tinged with religious overtones, the Democrats' rebuttal was a cold, legalistic "the matter should be left up to the states." Instead of framing the argument as one about equality, liberty, individual rights and one party working on solving real issues while the other codifies discrimination, the so-called liberals hemmed and hawed and handed the GOP a major trump card. Considering a majority of Americans believe in civil unions, this display of ineptitude was even more impressive.

In the context of 1994, however, this year's Democratic response to gay marriage is wholly understandable. The 2002 election confirmed that the average working American was suddenly voting Republican, and considering the average working American isn't a big fan of gay marriage, why fight that fight? Sadly, this logic is the same one that is pervading the current push for "values." What's missing is the fact that liberals have values, values which appealed to voters for 60 years of nearly unbroken dominance in the House and state legislatures. Democrats simply need to figure out how to articulate those values in the contemporary climate.

What must be warded against at all costs is another strategy shift which involves mirroring the Republicans. As Herbert so correctly analyzed 10 years ago, "Instead of sneaking to the left or the right, instead of being ashamed of groups that have supported the party for decades, the Democrats could use a dose of authenticity." Indeed, if there is one prescription for the electoral blues, it involves honest, powerful statements about what you stand for and why you stand for it. The Democrats aren't out of touch with America; the Democrats are out of touch with themselves.

Democrats should take heart, however, because there is at least one strain of the party which seems to realize how to successfully package the message; their new champion is Barack Obama. Obama's popularity stems from his ability to explain why he believes in liberalism and his ability to offer a clear, concrete alternative to the Republicans. Specificity, self-interest and liberal morality is a winning combination.

In his keynote address to the Democratic National Convention, Obama opined, "People don't expect government to solve all their problems. But they sense, deep in their bones, that with just a change in priorities, we can make sure that every child in America has a decent shot at life, and that the doors of opportunity remain open to all... It is that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." Contrast that sentiment with most of the Democrats' over the past 10 years and you see one clear difference: Obama scaffolds his rhetoric with liberal values while others shy away from them.

The Democratic Party must learn from the mistakes of 1994 and not allow history to repeat itself. Undertaking a basic rearticulation of Democratic values cannot be done by playing Republican. Communicating what you stand for is not accomplished by standing for something else. What the Democrats need is exactly what they needed a decade ago -- honesty.

Elliot Haspel is a Cavalier Daily associate editor. He can be reached at ehaspel@cavalierdaily.com.