Undefeated Cavs take down Terps

A quick look at the score of No. 1 Virginia's 15-5 win over No. 3 Maryland (6-2, 2-1 ACC) would suggest a game that was one-sided. A closer look, one that would show that the Cavaliers (10-0, 1-0) held a 9-1 halftime advantage, would show a game that was never really in contention because Virginia got off to such a quick start.

Virginia senior Matt Ward thought he recalled "our first four shots on goal went in. That's a big time confidence boost for the offense but it also probably takes the wind out of the defense's sails. We were able to do that and continued to shoot well all day."

Virginia started the game with a five-goal run that certainly caught the Terrapins off guard. Heading into the game, Maryland was allowing an average of 5.03 goals per game, a mark that led the ACC.

Virginia junior Drew Thompson set the tone just 15 seconds into the game to start the scoring. Sophomore Ben Rubeor added two of his game-high four goals in the opening run and freshman Danny Glading scored his first goal of the game on a breakaway.

"I haven't made that many shots from there all year, so teams haven't been sliding to me too quick," Glading said of the strong positioning he found himself in after his run. "But the first thing I saw was that I had a shot and I just let it go."

The Virginia defense also got off to strong start, allowing the Terrapins to score only one goal in the first half. Cavalier goalie Kip Turner recorded a season-high 15 saves. Virginia defenseman Michael Culver played strong defense as he overshadowed Maryland's Joe Walters, holding the ACC's leading scorer to only one assist over the course of the game.

"The credit goes all to the defensive guys," Turner said. "They are all great defenders and great athletes. They played well individually in the one-on-ones today."

The Cavaliers did not let up in the second half. Virginia scored the first four goals in the third quarter to prevent any possibility of a Maryland comeback. Virginia seniors Matt Poskay and J.J. Morrissey scored within 20 seconds of each other in the opening minute of the third quarter to give the Cavaliers an 11-1 lead.

"I thought the key later on in the game was our play in the third quarter," Virginia coach Dom Starsia said. "We came out of the locker room and said we were going to make a run. That was the time, and I thought we were there to answer it. We got back on our game early in the third quarter and that is when the game was decided."

Virginia's final goal of the third quarter was both a display of teamwork and a show of the potential of the Cavalier freshmen. Glading was able to scoop up a loose ball from amongst a crowd and flip it to Morrissey, who made a nice pass to freshman Garrett Billings. The freshman then scored an easy goal, his first of two on the afternoon.

With the win, Virginia improves on its best-ever season start. The Cavaliers also opened conference play with a decisive win.

"They definitely did not play their best game," Rubeor said. "But we came out, played hard, did what we needed to do and we won."

Latest Video