Bakare Soumare finds home with Virginia

The Virginia men's soccer team rolls into the ACC tournament after a tough loss to Wake Forest at home but still hold high hopes of postseason glory.

"I just can't wait to get back onto the field and get another 'W' and hopefully win the national championship," senior goalie Ryan Burke said.

For one Virginia player in particular, however, this chance has been a long time coming.

Freshman defender Bakare Soumare has had a difficult road to this stage in his career. Soumare spent most of his youth in Paris, France before coming to America and turning heads with his tenacity on the pitch in high school.

Virginia coach George Gelnovatch saw that potential early on and offered Soumare a scholarship late in his junior year. He accepted, despite offers from other prestigious programs, but things quickly went awry.

"I had always been lucky with injuries and academics and all that," Soumare said. "But all of a sudden, I broke my foot."

The injury to his right foot required surgery and caused him to miss his senior year. Still, coming into his first year at Virginia, Soumare had high hopes.

"I had all these expectations of coming in and doing well and starting" for Virginia, Soumare said.

Those dreams were shattered quickly when he re-aggravated the injury over the summer. After another surgery and a stint in rehab, Soumare finally ran out to play at Klöckner Stadium against the Duke Blue Devils.

His debut was short; pain forced him to sit after just one minute.

The frustration was evident. Soumare could not seem to catch a break and often thought of giving up on college altogether.

"I really wanted to go home," Soumare said. "I just didn't want to be here anymore."

After a third surgery, Soumare sat out an even longer time. In the rehabilitation process, Virginia assistant coach Chefik Simo served as a friend and mentor to a young and embittered Soumare.

Fortunately, over the offseason Soumare recovered -- this time seemingly for good. Soumare stayed at Virginia and has played in every single game so far this season as part of one of the top defenses in the country.

Soumare has still experienced disappointment. The image most fans may remember of Soumare's season so far this year was a misplayed cross inside the box against the American Eagles that he redirected past Burke for an own goal.

Last Friday against Wake Forest, the sloppy conditions led Soumare to lose his man and give Wake Forest a one-on-one which led to the game-winner for the Demon Deacons.

Still, such images do not do justice to the ability and intensity Soumare has displayed all season.

His size and strength are a decisive advantage against most forwards, as evidenced against Boston College when he and sophomore defender Matt Poole shut down one of the ACC's top forwards in Charlie Davies.

Tomorrow, Soumare will get a chance to show just how crucial he is to this team's success when the Cavaliers have a rematch against the Clemson Tigers in the first round of the ACC tournament.

Hopefully, his patience pays off.

Latest Video