Virginia men and women both finish third in ACC's

Even though Virginia got the best of N.C. State on the gridiron, the cross county course would be a totally different story.

The Virginia men's and women's cross country teams placed third at the ACC championships, which took place on Virginia's home course at Panorama Farms.

While this is the highest place for the Virginia women's cross country team since 2002 and the fifth straight year the Virginia men's cross country team finished in the top three, the third-place results did not completely please Virginia coach Jason Dunn.

"I think I would have been much more satisfied if we were in the top two," Dunn said. "I feel that the women had a very good day. On the men's side I feel a little bit disappointed. I don't like to lose."

N.C. State, meanwhile, added on to their history of domination at the ACC championships, taking first in both men's and women's cross country. This is the 21st title for the N.C. State women's team, while the men received their 14th title.

"I'm not sure even on our best day if we could have beaten either of those teams," Dunn said.

On the men's side, senior Jan Foerster was the highest-placing Virginia runner, placing third. Foerster earned All-ACC recognition, along with sophomore Andy Biladeau, who finished 14th. Senior Andrew Dumm was one place away from earning All-ACC recognition, finishing 15th.

"Jan Foerster had a great day," Dunn said. "He nearly took down one of the best runners in the country."

On the women's side, Emily Harrison had the highest finish at fifth. In addition to Harrison, sophomore Katie Read and senior Kara Scanlin also earned All-ACC honors with their eighth and 10th place finishes, respectively.

Read "was a long ways from being an All-ACC performer heading into the season, so for her to get to that point now is just a great accomplishment," Dunn said.

Dunn noted there were things that the Cavaliers could improve on before the Cavalier Open Nov. 4, as well as the NCAA Southeast Regional Nov. 11.

"I think we could have run together as a team a little bit better," he said. "We wanted to get our fourth and fifth finishers as close to the front as possible and we still can do a lot better in that respect on both sides. We should be finishing much higher with our fifth runners on both sides."

Even though the weekend was somewhat disappointing, there remains time in the season to accomplish the team's goals.

"I think this adds some fuel to the fire for the rest of our season," Dunn said. "We are still looking to accomplish our national-level goals for the season and even though we came a little bit short on our conference goals, we still want an automatic bid to Nationals by finishing top two in the region, and hopefully we can get a top-15 finish at Nationals."

Latest Video