Virginia to play two in Carolina

The Virginia volleyball team is riding high on a five-match win streak after stealing two ACC road wins over Boston College and Maryland last weekend. During the streak, the Cavaliers offensive has exploded led by junior Katie Oakes who has stepped up to dominate the net both with kills and blocks.

All of this has occurred during the absence of junior outside hitter Sarah Kirkwood. However, Sarah Kirkwood has been medically cleared to return to play this weekend as the Cavaliers travel to North Carolina to take on the Duke Blue Devils(11-2, 4-0 ACC) and the Wake Forest Demon Deacons (7-6, 3-1 ACC).

Kirkwood's return comes at a good time for the Cavaliers, who face the ACC preseason favorite in Duke Friday night. The Blue Devils are coming off a 3-0 road win over North Carolina last weekend. Last season, the teams split the season series, both taking home wins.

"They are a great team, their defense is great," senior Emily Kirkwood said. "We have to stay mentally strong the whole time."

The Cavaliers will have to counter several offensive threats from Duke, including freshman Rachael Moss, who is averaging 3.45 kills per game and just registered her sixth double-double of the season against North Carolina. In addition to Moss, junior Carrie DeMange (4.12 kills per game) will anchor the Duke offense at middle.

Fortunately, the Virginia defense has come around as well. Led by Oakes, the ACC Player of the Week, the Cavaliers stuffed 19 blocks against Maryland last weekend. The defense also held the Terrapins to a .058 hitting percentage.

Although Virginia must take on the challenge of facing a strong ACC team on the road in front of a typically hostile crowd at Cameron Indoor Stadium, they are only focused on their own play.

"We're just getting our mental situation right, and hopefully, we can bring home the win," Oakes said. "If we can just do everything we need to do with our team and not so much about them, then we'll be okay."

Saturday night, Virginia will conclude their road trip with another ACC match, this time against Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons have been tough in ACC play thus far this season, most recently stealing a win on the road from N.C. State. Virginia, however, has a strong recent history against Wake Forest, sweeping the series last season.

Although Kirkwood has been medically cleared to play this weekend, it is not clear how strong she will be when she returns to the court.

"She is still working to regain her timing and reactions, as well as endurance and strength," Virginia coach Melissa Shelton said. "At this point I'm not sure how much time, if any, she will see this weekend."

Regardless of Sarah Kirkwood's status, the Virginia offense has proven capable of stepping up to fill the void.

"Everyone has stepped into their own role," Emily Kirkwood said. "Our middles are doing awesome, our passing has picked up and everyone has really picked up their game to make up for the loss of Sarah."

Latest Video