Virginia faces tough test against Maryland

Winter Break was a good one for the Virginia women's basketball team as it won seven games in a row, including its first two conference matchups against Wake Forest and in-state rival Virginia Tech. Tonight, the Cavaliers will put that winning streak on the line as they take on the No. 4 Maryland Terrapins (20-1, 4-0 ACC).

Virginia (13-4, 2-0 ACC) defeated the Hokies Sunday afternoon 70-57 in front of a season-high 7,001 fans at the John Paul Jones Arena. The Cavaliers, however, came out a bit nervous, committing 16 turnovers in the first half before putting on a better show after halftime.

But Virginia cannot relax and enjoy the victory for long as it hosts a loaded Maryland squad tonight. Virginia coach Debbie Ryan, however, wants no added emphasis put on this ACC showdown.

"That's what the ACC is all about and everything counts the same," Ryan said. "It's not like Virginia Tech means any more than Wake Forest. It means exactly the same. It is a one-piece pie and this is just another piece. You have to take it like that. ... You just have to keep playing and putting your best foot forward. I know this team will be excited by Friday, and I want them to be a little better in terms of their ability to move the ball and take care of the basketball."

Virginia will look for a balanced effort in order to upset the Terrapins. Three Cavaliers are averaging double figures including sophomore guard Monica Wright who is averaging 17.6 points per game, good enough for fourth best in the conference.

Junior forward Lyndra Littles comes in averaging 15.9 points per game. Littles was slowed with a knee injury in a game at Rider over the break but bounced back with 12 points in 29 minutes against the Hokies.

Junior center Aisha Mohammed averages 12.6 points on 55.6 percent shooting and a team-high 9.1 rebounds per game. Mohammed led Virginia with 18 points Sunday and continues with efficiency whenever she touches the ball.

"We just had to calm down on the perimeter and get her the ball," senior point guard Sharneé Zoll said. "Aisha is a beast down there and we are going to keep riding her until somebody stops her."

Maryland comes to Charlottesville with a 10-game winning streak of its own. The Terrapins have not lost since Dec. 3 at Rutgers and defeated fellow ACC power Duke 85-70 in College Park Monday night. In its four ACC games, Maryland has outscored its opponents by an average of 35 points.

The Terrapins boast four players averaging double figures, including junior guard Kristi Toliver and junior forward Marissa Coleman. Toliver averages 17.5 points per game while Coleman registers 16.1 points and 8.0 rebounds per contest. Coleman posted a career-high 30 points in Maryland's win over Duke.

Maryland's senior forward Crystal Langhorne and senior center Laura Harper each contribute 14.2 points per game and Langhorne leads the team with 8.8 rebounds per game.

The game tips off at 7 p.m. at the John Paul Jones Arena.

Latest Video