Looking for a third option

Sports journalism isn't rocket science. Typically, it involves a relatively knowledgeable person watching a game live and then reflecting on that game in an objective (game story) or subjective (column) manner. After four years watching Virginia basketball, I usually have little trouble identifying the good and bad following a Cavalier game.

That said, I have absolutely no idea what happened Saturday afternoon at The John. Apparently, Virginia defeated Georgia Tech by six points, secured a first round bye in the ACC Tournament, and (for all intent and purposes) officially stamped its ticket to the Big Dance. As for the game itself? I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Apparently, I'm not alone.

"For the life of me," Virginia coach Dave Leitao said after the game. "I'm not sure what just happened."

Saturday afternoon Virginia played six wonderful minutes of basketball -- the first three, and the last three. Miraculously, six minutes were enough for the Cavaliers to defeat a high-quality Yellow Jacket team and keep Virginia undefeated at home in ACC play.

All season long, the mantra surrounding the coverage of Virginia basketball has been finding a third option. Virginia simply had to have a third scoring threat to beat quality teams late in the season. Everyone in the country knew Singletary and Reynolds were going to be special this year. Before the season even started, most had anointed them the top backcourt in the ACC. They certainly have not disappointed, as both have carried the team at different times, and both should earn first-team All-ACC consideration.

Here's a statistic for you: How many teams in NCAA Division I basketball have two players averaging over 18.5 points per game? Answer: Three. Hofstra, VMI and Virginia. In case you were curious, Hofstra plays in the Colonial Athletic Association against the stifling defense of JMU, and VMI plays nightly in the Big South against the likes of Charleston Southern. I don't mention this to demean either VMI or Hofstra. Rather, I want to emphasize just how impressive Singletary and Reynolds have been this season.

Common sense -- and most basketball writers -- says Virginia needs a third option on offense to make a deep run in either the ACC or NCAA tournaments. For the first time Saturday, I started to question this supposed common sense. Georgia Tech is no slouch of a team. While it may see its bubble burst come March, the Yellow Jackets are big, strong and athletic, and should be a terror in the ACC for the next couple of years. In fact, I would venture to say this Yellow Jackets team is probably better than a quarter of the teams that will go dancing next month. I say this to illustrate my point. The Cavaliers had two great basketball players Saturday. Yes, there were small contributions by other players (namely Cain and Soroye down the stretch), but for the better part of the game, it was Singletary and Reynolds versus the world. And you know what? Virginia's duo won.

"I need to look at it all over again because it just happened in a blur," Leitao said after the game. "But thank goodness we have [Singletary and Reynolds] and thank goodness Tunji can make a lay-up."

I may not be entirely sure how we managed to pull out a win Saturday. But I know a couple Virginia players and one Virginia coach that have a pretty good idea.

Latest Video