Men's Tennis: Cavs hope to continue sweep of ACC

Thanks to a victory over the Hokies, the Virginia men's tennis team heads into a crucial weekend of tough Atlantic Coast Conference matchups with some momentum.

Coming off an impressive outing against No. 39 Virginia Tech (10-6, 1-4 ACC), the No. 2 Cavaliers (17-3, 5-0 ACC) look to continue their surge through the ACC standings against Clemson and Georgia Tech this weekend, respectively ranked No. 26 and No. 46 nationally.

Despite their undefeated record in conference play, the players appreciate the challenge every conference foe poses.

"I think every ACC team can give a challenge," freshman Dominic Inglot said. "The only way we can nullify that challenge is if we really knuckle down. I know that this team is strong enough, that if everyone focuses and concentrates I know we can win those matches. It'll be a challenge, but if we stay strong, I don't think it'll be a problem."

Inglot's solid play as a freshman has been a large part of the Cavaliers' early season successes, and though they have suffered in recent matches, he is confident he has found his game again.

"It's definitely on the turnaround," Inglot said. "The courts are slower outdoors and it's a little windier and it's a little more difficult for someone like me who plays serve volley. I've put in some real good work with the coaches and I feel like I'm on the up again."

With three singles players ranked nationally along with two of their doubles teams, the men's team is eyeing an undefeated run through a very difficult ACC schedule and remains positive about every match.

"I'm hoping that [our chances] are very high and you never know," freshman Houston Barrick said. "Every team is great. Every day we go out and play a top-30 team, so it's tough. Hopefully, if things fall our way, we'll be in good shape."

Having such impressive national rankings, along with their recent five-match winning streak, has given the players a mental toughness and an edge over their upcoming opponents.

"Other players want to beat ranked players to get themselves ranked as well," Inglot said. "But they know coming into a match against a ranked player, other than the desire to beat me, is that I have beaten ranked players and it puts a little bit of pressure on them. It gives you that little edge in the game and as long as you don't take things for granted, you should be fine."

Success in the regular season often equates to a successful postseason, and the men's team finds itself struggling with the temptation to begin thinking of what will hopefully be a deep run into the postseason.

"That [postseason] is always in the back of our minds, but we have to focus on the regular season right now," Barrick said. "Hopefully on Friday it'll be a good atmosphere out there. For this match I'd say Boar's Head, but hopefully that'll change."

With Clemson and Georgia Tech coming to town, fans of the men's tennis team hope they can say "seven-match win streak" come Monday morning.

Latest Video