Men's Lax: Loss to Blue Devils lights fire under Cavs

It probably would have been in Dartmouth's best interest for the Virginia men's lacrosse team to have beaten Duke last weekend.

Indeed, Virginia's heartbreaking 7-6 overtime loss to the Blue Devils (10-2, 3-0 ACC) has lit a fire under the Cavaliers, who are ready and eager to play their best lacrosse this weekend.

"We feel like in the last couple of weeks our play has flattened out a little bit," Virginia coach Dom Starsia said. "We want to finish the regular season on the right note -- we want to get back to playing well."

With the Duke loss reminding Virginia (10-2, 2-1 ACC) that the team must play well in addition to consistently playing hard, players and coaches alike say they have noticed an increased sharpness and an increased intensity in this week's practices.

"We are getting into the heart of the season where it's win or go home, so this was definitely a heads up call," senior close defender Ricky Smith said. "We have been able to concentrate this week and are having good practices where we've worked on the basic stuff again."

Although Dartmouth (4-6) has lost its last three games against Yale, Cornell and Penn, Starsia says he has been impressed with the Big Green on tape. He is preparing his squad to face a quality team with an outstanding attack similar to the Cavaliers' own.

Like Virginia, the Big Green's three attackmen are by far the team's leading scorers. Senior goalkeeper Kip Turner remembers facing Dartmouth senior attack Nick Bonacci in high school and expects him to pose a considerable threat to the Cavalier goal. It will be Smith's responsibility to limit the Tewaaraton trophy finalist's chances.

The Tewaaraton honor is awarded each year to the top American college lacrosse player -- Virginia 2006 University graduate Matt Ward received it last year.

"This is another chance to get better," Smith said. "They have a great attack -- real senior-oriented on the offensive side, so it will be another challenge for our defense."

Unlike the Cavalier defense, Dartmouth's defense is rather young, lacking the experience that seniors Turner and Smith bring to the Cavaliers' defensive line.

"We are going into this game thinking we need to win face-offs and dominate the possessions so we can push the tempo of the game," Starsia said. "We want to move the ball quickly from defense to offense, create unsettled opportunities and keep the pressure on them so they can't slow the ball down."

During Saturday's matchup, the last home game of the regular season, Virginia will recognize this year's senior class, including Smith, Turner, attack Adam Fassnacht, midfielder Foster Gilbert, defenseman Drew Jordan, midfielder and Drew Thompson..

"I know this is cliché, but I wouldn't change anything that's happened all four years," Smith said. "It is definitely a special moment for me and the other seniors."

With the ACC and NCAA tournaments on the horizon, the coaches and seniors realize their season is far from over. Nevertheless, the day will be somewhat bittersweet.

"I am certain that for them the reality of this all ending is probably a little harsh," Starsia said. "But for me, this is just the end of this part of our relationship and the beginning of the next part. For guys like [Turner], [Smith] and [Thompson} and guys like that that we have been very close to over the years, we are going to stay in touch forever."

Latest Video