Athletes perform balancing act

During her four years on the soccer team, Becky Sauerbrunn has seen her squad reach the quarterfinals of the NCAA. She's seen the Cavaliers snatch their first-ever ACC Championship away from reigning champ North Carolina. And now, in her last year, Sauerbrunn anchors what is probably the Cavaliers' best defense since her first year. And, of course, she also has balanced a University workload.

"I'm a double-major in English and education at the Curry School," Sauerbrunn said. "Basically when I have free time, I'm trying to make sure I'm ahead of work or at least not dragging behind."

For any Virginia athlete, trying to find enough time for both schoolwork and the team is probably the greatest challenge. Between a rigorous practice schedule and traveling across the country for games, being a student athlete isn't easy. The University offers certain compensations to help lighten the load, however, including early course registration.

"There are things that help us," Sauerbrunn said. "We usually get the classes that we need just because we have to have the classes ... at certain times that don't conflict with our practice times and our game day."

Despite the rigorous schedule, being a student athlete has its advantages. Student athletes at Virginia get to play sports they love at an incredibly elevated level, while at the same time representing and being supported by the University. Some of the athletes' perks might be less evident to others, including the opportunity to gain a new perspective on the University by taking road trips to other colleges and universities.

"Being able to travel to a bunch of different universities and see how they work, that's kind of enriching," Sauerbrunn said. "Then you see that U.Va. is a great school and they treat people well -- especially their athletes."

Being an athlete also can confer other benefits, according to Sauerbrunn's coach, Steve Swanson.

"I've been in athletics all my life," Swanson said. "I feel one of the best aspects of sports, especially team sports, is that so much is transferable into life ... Especially when you play at this high of a level, to get the experiences and the knowledge through athletics of things that will help you in your life, I think that's one of the best aspects of sports."

Despite the long road trips, tough practices, late-night studying and stress that fills the lives of student athletes, the bonds formed among teammates more than balance the equation for Sauerbrunn.

"Even since my first year I've had these 18 girls that I basically live with," Sauerbrunn said. "We hang out, we work hard together. .. I know that I have friends no matter where I go in life."

Latest Video