Cavs desperate for ACC win against Wake

After dispatching Longwood 3-1, it's time for the Cavalier field hockey team to shift its attention to a key ACC matchup. Tomorrow Virginia heads to Winston-Salem to take on the No. 3 team in the nation -- Wake Forest.

The game is of heightened importance considering that the Cavaliers (9-7) are winless in the ACC and still trying to work their way into the 16-team NCAA Tournament for the second straight year. It was at last year's tournament where Virginia's season was ended by these same Demon Deacons by a score of 3-2.

Wednesday's game against Longwood provided an opportunity for Virginia to get back on track, which it did, notching three goals on nine shots. The scoring was led by junior Inge Kaars Sijpesteijnwho scored her seventh goal of the season. It is extremely important that Virginia's offense stays on track against Wake Forest.

"The good thing about Wake is we played them this summer," Virginia senior goalkeeper Amy Desjadon said. "We played them in two games; the first game we lost, the second game, our press was phenomenal, and we absolutely demolished them, so that's, I think, going to be a really good self-esteem [boost] for our team, to know that we've played Wake [with] our system and we've beaten them. I think a lot of people are looking forward to that."

Wake Forest comes into the game on a five-game win streak and an overall record of 10-4. The Demon Deacons also have defeated the Cavaliers nine times in the last seven years. Wake Forest is led by junior All-American Michelle Kasold, who has 22 points in just 13 games. The team has been battling its own demons, however, as last year's season ended in a loss to ACC rival Maryland in the National Championship. With much of the 2006 squad returning, the Demon Deacons had high hopes for this season.

Right now, Wake Forest is where Virginia wants to be -- inside the NCAA Tournament bubble.

The NCAA Tournament field consists of only 16 teams, and with the Cavaliers currently ranked 19th, it appears they are on the outside looking in. But with two top-10 opponents left and the ACC Tournament at the end of the season, there are plenty of opportunities to make a statement.

One harsh reality facing the Cavaliers, however, is their recent record against ACC foes. Virginia has only two wins in conference play, including the tournament, in the last seven years, and both came last year. So far this season, the team is 0-3 in the ACC.

It is quite apparent that the team realizes the importance of this final stretch.

"It's a tough opponent," Virginia coach Michele Madison said. "It'll be challenging -- it always is. There will be opportunities for both teams, but if we stick to our game plan we have a chance"

Latest Video