Virginia looks to extinguish Flames tonight

After a tough loss to ACC leader Boston College Saturday, the Virginia men's soccer team looks to bounce back in its home match against Liberty University today. The Cavaliers are 8-3-2 on the season despite a 1-2-2 record in the ACC and are looking forward to this game as a chance to pick up a win heading into Friday's ACC rivalry game against the Blue Devils.

The loss to Boston College was frustrating for the Cavaliers because they did not play up to their full potential, Virginia coach George Gelnovatch said.

"I don't want to take anything away from BC; they are a great team, but we weren't close to where we are capable of playing," Gelnovatch said.

This was Virginia's second loss in three games, and their second straight loss to an ACC opponent.

"I don't think the team is struggling," said junior forward Yannick Reyering, the Cavaliers' leading scorer. "I just don't think we were determined or aggressive enough to win the game, and the ACC is a tough conference. Boston College were 4-0 for a reason, but I don't think there will be any other teams that will dominate the conference. Really I think we just need to get closer as a team, get together and really focus on what we are capable of and I think we will be fine."

Reyering attributed the loss partially to mental mistakes.

"Sometimes you have those games where the last pass just doesn't get through, or you aren't mentally ready for the game," he said. "Sometimes you have those games and it just doesn't work out, but I am sure that we are going to get back on track."

Liberty is coming off a 2-0 win against UNC Asheville and boasts an 8-3-2 record. The Flames were recently ranked ninth in the weekly National Soccer Coaches Association of America South Atlantic Region poll, their fifth consecutive appearance in the poll. They are led by senior forward Adrian Bumbut who has eight goals on the season, four of which have come in game-winning fashion. It will take a team effort to keep him off the ball and limit Liberty's shots.

The Flames have outshot their opponents 171-103 on the season leading to a plus 11 goal differential. Freshman goalie Paul Gilbert has let up only 13 goals this season and averages less than one goal against per game.

Virginia knows it cannot afford to look past these non-conference games.

"If there's stuff you need to work on, or kids who need some playing time, who sometime don't see as much in an ACC game and need some experience, it helps a lot," junior defender Matt Poole said. "Its always good to play as many games as you can because everyone gets better that way."

The Cavaliers' schedule thus far has pitted them against weaker opponents midweek to prepare them for tougher ACC opponents on weekends.

Last week the Cavaliers defeated Florida Atlantic en route to their match up against Boston College. Despite the victory against Florida Atlantic, the Cavaliers still fell to the Eagles. The Cavaliers will have to make better use of tonight's game if they hope to increase their aggressiveness and defeat Duke Friday.

During these non-conference games, the Cavaliers also look to boost their statistics. After notching a goal in the first half of Saturday's game, Reyering will attempt to add to his ACC-leading nine goals on the season.

"These [non-conference games] are huge in terms of confidence and in terms of finding your rhythm," Reyering said. "On the other hand, all the teams play these kinds of games so everyone is going to be equally tired or fit; basically you can't lose those if you want to have a high ranking. You have to do your job and take care of business and win those games."

Tonight's game will serve as an opportunity for the Cavaliers to hone their skills and rebuild confidence against a statistically weaker opponent.

The game is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium.

Latest Video