Embarrassing loss to Tech lingers with team

Coaches have been saying it for years -- don't focus on the losses. Look ahead and keep your eye on the wins.

Not this time.

With two non-conference games against Newberry and Campbell ahead on the schedule, Virginia wrestling coach Steve Garland isn't ready to forget about last week's loss to Virginia Tech just yet.

"That was one of the worst losses I've ever been associated with in eight years of coaching," Garland said. "Abso-freaking-lutely."

Virginia was riding high after defeating North Carolina earlier in the weekend. The Virginia Tech match started similarly when freshman Chris Henrich upset No. 20 sophomore Eric Decker of the Hokies, boosting Henrich's ranking to No. 19 in the nation at 174 pounds. But Virginia's best wrestler, No. 9 junior Rocco Caponi, fell in the next bout. The loss was only Caponi's second of the season.

"It was a mental letdown," Garland said. "He took the kid too lightly ... If you looked at our bench, immediately, the air was taken out of our sails and we were just dumbfounded."

After Virginia sophomore Kellon Balum was pinned in the very last second, Virginia Tech walked away with an 18-16 victory.

"That's the deepest and most painful a loss can possibly get," Henrich said. "You lose to your biggest rival, and even worse, a team you should blow out."

After losing a match Garland said Virginia should have won on paper, Virginia will take that match against the Hokies as a learning experience and motivation.

"Man, did we learn a tough lesson about being overconfident," Garland said.

Now, Virginia wrestlers are describing the team's attitude as angry and ticked off. The Cavaliers are keeping Virginia Tech in the back of their minds as they face two underrated squads this weekend.

"This one hurts," Caponi said. "So this is a good chance to keep us pushing forward."

Newberry (12-6) ranks No. 10 in the D-II rankings. Competing in the South Atlantic Conference, Newberry has three ranked wrestlers: senior Alonzo Azumendi, who is No. 6 at 164; senior Kelly Anundson, who is No. 5 at 197; and junior Cy Wainwright, who is No. 3 at heavyweight.

Campbell (1-12-1), competes in the Colonial Athletic Association. Sophomore Kelin Bidelspach, Campbell's best wrestler, is 18-2 with five pins on the season. The Camels' only victory of the season was a 20-18 defeat against Sacred Heart. Virginia finishes its non-conference schedule with these two meets with the March 8 ACC Championship quickly approaching.

Following the loss to Virginia Tech, Garland said Tuesday's practice was the best the team has had all season.

"You want to run that extra sprint," Caponi said. "I hate that feeling of losing. It's that hatred that motivates me."

After this weekend, Virginia travels to Durham, N.C. to take on N.C. State and Duke.

Though winning might be enough motivation, avenging Virginia Tech will be icing on the cake for the Cavaliers.

"People say, you have to move on," Garland said. "I say, keep that burn in your chest. Keep that burn in your mind. That's going to push you this week when you're miserable"

Latest Video