Cavaliers take victory with final-minute run

The No. 3 Virginia men's lacrosse team narrowly dodged a loss Saturday afternoon with Cavalier senior Peter Lamade and junior Danny Glading each scoring in the final three minutes to secure a 15-13 victory against Stony Brook.

With eight points, Glading led the Cavaliers offensively, tallying five goals and three assists. The preseason All-American helped Virginia get off to an early lead, and by the close of the first quarter, the Cavaliers were up 6-2 and Glading already had a hat trick.

Glading "gave [Stony Brook] trouble last year, and talking to their coach after the game, he said he has had nightmares about Danny," Virginia coach Dom Starsia said. "He played very well today and made some big plays for us. With Ben [Rubeor] out he has to pick up a little bit more of the load and he is certainly ready and anxious to do that for us."

Although Virginia was up 9-2 in the second quarter, the Seawolves adjusted defensively and capitalized on the Cavaliers' mistakes. Stony Brook scored five in the second to bring the score to 10-7 -- trimming Virginia's lead to three at the half.

The opening second half faceoff provided another scoring opportunity for the Seawolves, and in just over 11 minutes of playing time Virginia had been outscored 6-1.

"I think we stopped taking care of the ball as well as we were at the beginning of the game," Glading said. "So it was a combination of us slacking off a little bit and them tightening up a little bit."

When the Seawolves tied the game 12-12 with a little more than three minutes left in the third quarter, Starsia replaced his starting goalkeeper, freshman Adam Ghitelman, with fifth-year senior Bud Petit.

With the game tied 13-all in the fourth, the teams traded possession but neither managed to score for a full 7 minutes. Petit gave his team the lift it needed.

"I thought Bud went in the game and gave us a little spark," Starsia said. "Clearly not all of the goals Adam gave up were his fault. Sometimes a young guy just has to come out and gather himself but I am sure he is going to bounce right back."

Lamade ended the 7-minute drought with the game-winner. Still adjusting to his new role on attack, Lamade had been given several opportunities throughout the game but had yet to convert. Off a pass from Glading, Lamade beat his defender to score from 8 yards out.

"My guy had to slide onto Danny [Glading]," Lamade said. "It was a pretty close shot. I would have been pretty mad if I did not finish it."

Virginia won the next faceoff and Glading put a final nail in the Seawolves' coffin with a goal just 11 seconds after Lamade's. With the momentum having shifted and the crowd in full support of the Cavaliers, Virginia maintained possession and ran out the clock.

"It was an exciting lacrosse game and I think people got their money's worth," Starsia said. "We made a couple plays at the end of the game when we had to. We will learn some lessons and move on and hopefully get better from here. But we will certainly take this win over a very good Stony Brook team"

Latest Video