Cavs prepare for season

By Megan McDonald Cavalier Daily Associate Editor With the season opener Sunday, the Virginia men's lacrosse team traveled to Georgetown this past weekend for its final tune-up match. While the Cavaliers experimented with personnel and cared little about the score when they scrimmaged Navy two weeks ago, they approached the Hoya matchup like a real game and outscored Georgetown 7-5.

"We always have very physical games against Georgetown -- regardless if it's a scrimmage or a real game," junior attack Danny Gladding said. "Approaching it like a real game lets us get the most out of it and playing a difficult opponent, especially a team like Georgetown, brings a challenge."

Following the Navy scrimmage, Virginia coach Dom Starsia commented on what he felt was a lack of sharpness and accuracy on the field by the Cavaliers. As a result of the performance against Navy, practice last week included a lot of playing time with an emphasis on unsettled situations.

"It was a tough week of practice and we really worked hard," Gladding said. "But we have definitely started to show signs of improving our stick skills and just running a sharper offense."

With senior attack Ben Rubeor on the sidelines for an indefinite amount of time, the Cavalier offense has had to reorganize and compensate accordingly. Junior attackman Garrett Billings and Gladding, both offensive veterans, are expected to step up along with several freshmen.

"With Ben hurt we have a freshman attackman, John Haldy, who looks like he will be playing a lot," senior goalkeeper Bud Petit said. "And then there are the Bratton brothers, who should see a lot of time on the first line."

Freshmen midfielders Rhamel and Shamel Bratton showed some of their offensive prowess against Navy, each scoring once while creating numerous other chances. Starsia, although hesitant to rely too heavily on the newest members of his team immediately, seems to have little choice in the matter right now.

"It's a big jump for the freshmen so you don't want to put too much pressure on them, but clearly there are some kids in that class who are going to help us out right away," Starsia said. "These guys are going to have to grow up quickly. I hope we get a couple older guys back soon so we will be a little more experienced, but we have to be cautious with some people who are banged up right now."

With a younger offensive line, it is imperative that Gladding and Billings work together to assume Rubeor's leadership responsibilities on the field.

"He wasn't only the best player on the team, he was also the main leader on the team," Gladding said. "I need to be more vocal and try to build the other players around me up so that they are more confident. Still, it is going to take a little time to adjust to life without Ben."

Though the team needs to build its offense, this year's midfield looks stronger than ever. A veteran group, they are expected to contribute significantly at both ends of the field. Toward the end of last season, Rubeor, Gladding and Billings were worn down from having carried the ball the majority of the time. With more offensive weapons in the midfield than last year, the Cavaliers are hoping to avoid that kind of fatigue.

"I think on the whole we are better than last year," Gladding said. "I think we definitely have a lot of talent. We had a tough season last year

Latest Video