Men's tennis continues to rip through schedule

The top-ranked Virginia men's tennis team stayed perfect this weekend, tallying its second conference victory 7-0 against the No. 50 Maryland Terrapins in College Park.

The victory for the Cavaliers (16-0, 2-0 ACC) snapped Maryland's five-match winning streak and was the first loss at home for the Terrapins (9-3, 1-2 ACC).

Virginia took the doubles point after the top-ranked tandem of seniors Somdev Devvarman and Treat Huey defeated the No. 11 team of juniors Andrew Orban and Boris Fetbroyt 8-5 at No. 1 doubles, and the No. 18 duo of freshmen Sanam Singh and Michael Shabaz defeated senior Michael Coleman and sophomore Alex Aksanov 8-1 at No. 3 doubles. The only blemish on the day for Virginia came at No. 2 doubles when No. 17 pair junior Dominic Inglot and sophomore Houston Barrick was upset by freshman Amit Inbar and junior Nickolai Nielsen.

The Cavaliers continued their stellar singles play, dominating Maryland in each of the six matches. The Cavaliers are 17-1 in singles play in their last three dual matches, and Saturday all Virginia players registered victories in straight sets. Devvarman, senior Teddy Angelinos and Singh all extended their singles-match win streaks. Devvarman's 6-2, 6-2 victory at the No. 1 position extended his winning streak to 18 matches. Angelinos took his match at the sixth position 6-0, 6-3 to extend his match win streak to 13 matches, and Singh won his match 6-0, 6-1 to extend his win streak to 15 matches.

Next up for Virginia is a trip to Blacksburg to take on Virginia Tech Wednesday afternoon.

--compiled by Sean .

Latest Video