Lalich dismissed from football team

Former QB admits violating terms of probation at hearing held yesterday

Sophomore quarterback Peter Lalich has been dismissed from the Virginia football team after admitting he violated the terms of his probation by consuming alcohol. Lalich’s hearing, which was originally scheduled for Sept. 26, was moved up to yesterday at the request of his lawyer, Tim Heaphy.
Athletic Director Craig Littlepage informed Lalich of his decision following the hearing.
“Peter Lalich is no longer a member of the University of Virginia football team,” Littlepage said in a statement. “We have supported Peter, but believe today a point has been reached where it’s best for all concerned that he no longer participate on the team. This is my decision and it has the support of head football coach Al Groh. We wish Peter the best in the future. We will have no further comment.”
Groh stood behind Littlepage’s decision.
“Any time a situation doesn’t work out in the most positive way for any player it’s regrettable, but we stand united with this decision,” Groh said in the same statement.
Lalich is still participating in the pre-conviction program relating to summer charges of underage possession of alcohol and is due back in court July 21, 2009. If he meets the terms of his probation until then, charges will be dropped.
Lalich, in a statement made at the hearing, expressed thankfulness for the judge’s decision to keep him on preconviction probation.
“I take full responsibility for my actions and understand the severity of the situation,” Lalich said, according to the statement provided by Heaphy. “Today I asked the court to allow me to remain on preconviction probation. I gave the judge my promise that I will abide my the terms of that probation in the future. I am grateful that the judge has allowed to leave me on probation.”
Heaphy applauded Lalich for his actions at the hearing.
“I think Peter did a very brave thing today,” Heaphy said.
Heaphy said he had no prior knowledge of Virginia’s decision to dismiss Lalich from the team.

You can view Peter Lalich's statement in pdf format here.

Latest Video