Florida teams visit Memorial Gym

First-place Miami, inconsistent Florida State take on Cavaliers this weekend

Looking to make some noise in the ACC, the Virginia volleyball team hosts Miami and Florida State tonight and tomorrow. Standing at 12-9 (4-5 ACC), Virginia has a chance to solidify its status as a contender in its conference.

Coming into last weekend’s two games at Memorial Gymnasium, the Cavaliers were playing inconsistently, with some games going well and others ending in disappointment. The Cavaliers seemed well-prepared headed into last weekend’s matches. The weekend was not entirely triumphant though, as the Cavaliers narrowly lost to Duke 2-3 (28-30, 25-22, 23-25, 28-26, 12-15) in addition to defeating Wake Forest 3-1 (14-25, 25-21, 25-16, 27-25). The contests did provide momentum and confidence for the games ahead, though, because Virginia exhibited a strong level of play.

“We played a lot better last weekend then we basically did the whole season,” freshman outside hitter Simone Asque said. “Probably the best all year. If we play at this level the rest of the season, then we could definitely make some noise in the ACC.”

Virginia faces a tough challenge tonight in Miami, which is currently 19-2 (7-2 ACC) and tied for first place in the conference. The Hurricanes — which Virginia coach Lee Maes called the most complete team in the ACC — have gone on a nice run recently, having won 18 of their last 21 sets. Miami leads the conference in service aces landed per set at 1.82, with five players reaching the 20-ace mark. The team is led by freshman outside hitter Lane Carico with 236 kills and junior libero Cassie Loessberg, who has 351 digs.

“I think, having a chance to watch them play on film, it’s pretty evident that they may be the best ball control team that we will have faced in conference play,” Maes said. “They’re very efficient in that regard, and by having that level of proficiency with their passing and digging, they’re going to be offensively very tough to stop.”

Virginia leads the all-time series with Miami 5-3, but has to step up its efforts tonight to widen its series lead.

Against Florida State, Virginia will face a team similar to itself. The Seminoles (12-7, 4-5 ACC) are led by junior middle blocker Brianna Barry, who tops the ACC with a .416 attack percentage, and senior defensive specialist/libero Ashlee Moon, who leads the ACC with five digs per game.

“Florida State, we know, is similar to our team with regards to trying to find a level of consistency,” Maes said. “I think they have a number of very good players who impact their team, specifically Brianna Barry ... but, again, they’re trying to find some consistency in their play, as are we, so that’s what we can expect from them.”

The Virginia volleyball team, which picked up its first home conference win last weekend, is looking for home-field advantage to propel it to another victory or two.

“The home environment has been awesome,” senior setter Marlow Bruneau said, conveying the team’s attitude toward the fans dressed in all orange. “Having people stand was just, like, ‘Oh my gosh, we packed Mem Gym!’ It was so cool. And they’re cheering, they got ‘As’ they’re putting up for our aces. It’s just been awesome.”

The players, however, are treating these two games just like they would any other two games on the schedule.

“Every game is just as important, no matter who or where you’re playing,” Asque said. “You have it to give it your all all the time.”

Latest Video