Hot Cavaliers take on Liberty tonight at Kl

Virginia, winner of four consecutive games including 1-0 victory Friday against then-No. 12 UNC, meets non-conference foe Flames

The streaking Virginia men’s soccer team continues its season tonight at home with a non-conference game against Liberty. The Cavaliers are looking for their fifth straight victory in an effort to maintain their stride during the middle of their season schedule.
After a slow start to the season, Virginia has rebounded. The Cavaliers are now 6-3 overall and undefeated in the ACC with a 3-0 record. Their biggest win of the season occurred this past Friday at Chapel Hill, where the then-unranked Cavaliers won a tight 1-0 game against then-No. 12 North Carolina. Mostly because of its four-game winning streak and excellent play during that span — highlighted by the upset against North Carolina — Virginia is now ranked No. 18 in the Soccer America poll. In the game against UNC, junior goalkeeper Michael Giallombardo posted his third shutout of the season, and freshman sensation midfielder Tony Tchani scored the only goal on a penalty kick during the 85th minute. Throughout the winning streak, the entire team has been rolling on all cylinders and all the team members seem to be on the same page.
Freshman defenseman Hunter Jumper cited the team’s chemistry as a reason for success.
“As a team we’re starting to come together well and that’s helped out a lot,” he said.
Virginia has also appeared to have withstood its subpar start to the season.
“We had a rough start but the coaches kept challenging us,” Giallombardo said. “We’ve just been persevering and keeping up the intensity.”
Tchani’s play during the season has been especially impressive; he leads the team with eight goals and 31 points overall. During their four-game win streak, the Cavaliers have outscored their opponents 12-1, and for the season have outscored their opponents 21-12. The Cavaliers plan to bring this same level of play to the field tonight.
Against Liberty (5-4, 1-3 Big South), the Cavaliers have been told by their coaches to just prepare for what they have to do.
“The coaches have told us they’re a good opponent,” Giallombardo said. “But we try to just go out and dictate the game with our play and not worry about the opponent.”
Liberty is led by senior midfielder/forward Joshua Boateng from Ghana, who leads the Flames with six goals and 29 points overall, and by redshirt freshman forward/midfielder Darren Amoo, also from Ghana, who has scored four goals and has a total of 13 points. These two players, especially Boateng, have been the key to Liberty’s past success.
History is overwhelmingly on the side of the Cavaliers; in their all-time series that dates back to 1986, Virginia has won all 16 matches with Liberty and defeated the Flames last year 3-0 at home. Virginia must continue its stellar play and retain its team chemistry while making sure not to overlook a solid Liberty squad that is hungry for a big upset and its first victory ever against the Cavaliers.

Latest Video