Longwood ties Virginia in mistake-filled contest

Simpson scores two goals; game features two red cards, one injury

Midweek Virginia men’s soccer games are supposed to be less than challenging than conference matchups. That adage was severely tested last night during Virginia’s 2-2 double overtime draw against visiting Longwood. In a game more notable for its injuries, sloppy play, fouls and two red cards, the Cavaliers gained two second-half goals from sophomore midfielder Jimmy Simpson and held a 2-0 lead more than 75 minutes into the game. Virginia, however, let Longwood back into the game with two late goals that sent the match into overtime.  With the draw Virginia is now 8-4-1 overall (4-1 ACC).

“There is nothing good I can say about this game tonight,” Virginia coach George Gelnovatch said. “We were unorganized, undisciplined and just uninspired.”

During both overtime periods, Virginia enjoyed several good scoring opportunities, including an apparent goal in the seventh minute of the second overtime that was nullified by an offsides call. Despite Virginia’s chances, the Cavaliers were unable to pull out a game-winning goal, and the game ended in a tie.

“I’m happy with my performance, but it’s still disappointing,” Simpson said. “It feels like a loss. We should always beat Longwood.”
The draw also came with an unfortunate consequence — an injury to star freshman midfielder Tony Tchani. Tchani — who leads Virginia in goals and points and is the unofficial free kick specialist — sustained an injury halfway through the first half and had to be assisted off the field by team trainers.

Virginia and Longwood both began the game slowly. Neither team was able to establish early momentum, and the first 10 minutes saw only back-and-forth action. In the 14th minute, midfielder Chase Neinken made an exciting run down the field that nearly resulted in a Virginia goal. Neinken dribbled the ball past two Longwood defenders all the way to the top of the box, where he passed the ball to midfielder Jonathan Villanueva. Villanueva pushed his shot attempt wide despite an open look at the goal from 20 yards out.

Villanueva’s attempt demonstrated the difficulties Virginia’s offense has had converting scoring opportunities into goals throughout the season. Virginia and Longwood both continued to struggle offensively, and neither team was able to establish consistency.

Then, with 18 minutes remaining in the opening half, Tchani went down with what appeared to be a right-knee injury in Virginia’s defensive zone. After sustaining the injury, Tchani lay on the field as play continued around him. Longwood intentionally kicked the ball out of bounds to stop play and give the trainers a chance to come onto the field. Tchani’s injury sent a chill up and down the spines of Virginia fans and players already devastated by freshman forward Chris Agorsor’s painful early season injury.

The second half began in much the same way the first ended; however, Virginia gathered itself together five minutes into the half and created a terrific scoring opportunity. Junior forward Matt Mitchell sent a pass to Neinken, who was positioned directly in front of the goal, not more than five yards out. Neinken one-timed the ball toward the net but Longwood goalkeeper Joel Helmick made a diving save and wrapped up the ball to prevent any chance of a rebound. It was Virginia’s best scoring chance up to that point in the game, but once again, the Cavaliers were unable to take advantage of the opportunity.

That trend, however, was quickly reversed when Simpson scored the first goal of the night. In the 57th minute, Simpson received a well-struck corner kick from Villanueva. Simpson — who stands 6-feet, 3-inches tall — stood alone and headed the ball into the back of the net.

About five minutes later Simpson struck again when he collected a pass from junior midfielder Neil Barlow five yards in front of the Longwood goal. Simpson sidestepped a defender and blasted the ball off Helmick and into the goal. Simpson’s second goal of the game gave Virginia a 2-0 lead with less than 30 minutes to play.

Two late Longwood goals — both of which were scored on headers — tied the game up and sent it into overtime.

Latest Video