Squad looks to rebound from from BC loss against Lancers

Cavs host Longwood tonight following loss to Eagles that snapped six-game win streak

Non-conference games can the perfect way for a Virginia team to relocate its stride, especially when those non-conference opponents come from minor conferences. Fortunately for the Virginia men’s soccer team, one of those opportunities seems to be immediately on hand. Virginia returns to action at Klöckner Stadium to host Longwood at 7 tonight.

Virginia (8-4, 4-1 ACC) enters the game coming off its first defeat in more than a month and will look to get back on the winning track against the Lancers. Meanwhile, Longwood (6-5-1, 1-0 Atlantic Soccer Conference) travels to Charlottesville with a record just better than .500 and is coming off the heels of a 1-3 loss to North Florida, a team that has compiled a 7-8 record on the season. Virginia will look to use its improving defense to stifle and stymie the Longwood attack. The Cavalier back line — which has played particularly well during the last seven games — will use this matchup against Longwood’s offense to scrutinize specific parts of its performance with less than a month before the ACC Tournament.

Last Friday Virginia suffered its first conference loss, a 0-1 defeat at Boston College. The loss marked the end of Virginia’s six-game winning streak, five of which were shutout wins.

“It’s tough going down like that,” sophomore forward Jimmy Simpson said. “We fought hard. But we’re still positive and feeling good going into [today’s] game.”

Although the loss sets Virginia back in the ACC standings, the Virginia defense kept up its strong play by allowing only its second goal in seven games. Junior goalkeeper Michael Giallombardo, who has started the last seven games, has been a key to Virginia’s defensive success. Giallombardo holds a 0.285 goals against average and a 0.9 save percentage. Giallombardo’s play, along with the rest of the Virginia defense, has been a crucial ingredient for Virginia’s success this season. The Cavaliers have scored only four goals in their last four ACC contests, yet, thanks to Virginia’s defense, they are 3-1 in those contests.

On the other hand, Virginia’s offense has been steady but average during the past three weeks. Virginia has not scored more than one goal in an ACC game since defeating Virginia Tech 2-1 Sept. 26. The Cavaliers have lacked the kind of offensive explosiveness that seemed apparent mid-September, for example, in the 5-0 victory against N.C. State. Although the Cavaliers have only been shut out twice this season, the loss of freshman forward Chris Agorsor seems to have damaged Virginia’s offensive potential. The dynamic and electric scoring ability Agorsor brought to the field every game has yet to be fully replicated or replaced. Freshman midfielder Tony Tchani, however, has picked up the slack; the freshman midfielder continues to lead Virginia in goals (9), points (21) and shots (40).

Longwood is led by sophomore forward Harvey Headley and junior defender Martin Vickerton, who lead the Lancers in points, with 11 and eight, respectively. Headley, in particular, has established himself as a scoring threat by scoring five goals even though he has only played in nine games. Although the Lancers are only one game better than .500, they have played several quality opponents and come up with some big wins. Most notably, Longwood defeated George Washington 2-1 to begin its season. George Washington played George Mason to a 1-1 tie in late August, and Virginia narrowly defeated George Mason in overtime in the Cavaliers’ third game of the season.

“Our goal is just to win,” freshman defender Shawn Barry said, noting the team’s attitude toward midweek matches. “We are told that we should win every Tuesday game, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Latest Video