Field hockey season ends with loss to Wake Forest

Though the Virginia field hockey team avenged an early season loss Saturday when it beat James Madison 2-1 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, the Cavaliers fell to Wake Forest 4-3 in round two to end their season yesterday.

The Cavaliers got off to a quick start against JMU when Virginia freshman back Floor Vogels scored off a penalty corner in the ninth minute. Junior forward Traci Ragukas was able to squeeze her 16th goal of the season past JMU’s junior goalkeeper Kelsey Cutchins late in the first half to seal the victory for the Cavaliers. The hard-fought game featured three green cards and three yellow cards, which were given to players from both teams.

Against Wake Forest, Virginia improved upon its previous performance against the Demon Deacons when the Cavaliers lost in decisive fashion 6-2 Oct. 25 at home. Virginia again had a quick start but could not hold Wake Forest off. Freshman forward Paige Selenski scored in the 14th minute and then added her second goal of the game 15 minutes later, putting Virginia up 2-0. Wake Forest rallied back to tie the game by the 58th minute, however, and scored the game-winning goal with less than five minutes left in the game. For the second time in three years, the Demon Deacons knocked the Cavaliers out of the NCAA Tournament.

—compiled by Ben Gomez

Latest Video