Weekend invite kicks off spring campaign

Arkansas, Utah, North Carolina pose tough early season challenge for young Cavaliers

Virginia women’s tennis kicks off its spring season this weekend during the Virginia Winter Invitational at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in Charlottesville. The team will compete against athletes from Arkansas, Utah and North Carolina, including some of the top competitors in the nation.  

Senior Amanda Rales, along with the rest of her teammates, is anxious to begin this spring season.

“It’s a really good tournament to prep for the season,” Rales said. “Match play is so important. This is a great opportunity individually, but it technically doesn’t count as a team. It is a great way to see where you are as a team, playing as if it were for a match that would count towards your ranking.”

This season’s team is an interesting mix featuring three developed freshmen, one of whom, freshman Lindsey Hardenbergh, made an impressive debut last fall by winning her first tournament on the ITF Women’s Pro Circuit.

“I thought it would be an interesting dynamic going in right away, but the older girls are very mature and they really look out for us,” Hardenbergh said. “In terms of on the court, we have all set the bar in terms of working hard and pushing each other.”

The competition looks to be challenging heading into this weekend’s tournament. Arkansas senior Aurelija Miseviciute is currently listed as the No. 2 singles player in the NCAA according to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

“It’s quick, it’s tiring, but you get a chance to play three really good teams,” Rales said. “If you are more prepared then they are, it can really make a difference for you individually at the end of your season.”

Rales herself has an important role to play this season. As one of two returning seniors, it is up to her to motivate her teammates and lead both vocally and by example. With the graduation of Lindsey Pereira, Rales has stepped up to the plate.

“On the court especially, [Lindsey] was a really good leader,” Rales said. “She pushed people really well. I definitely miss that, but since she’s gone I am trying to fill that void and push people myself.”

Virginia is starting out this spring season ranked No. 41 in the nation. After a disappointing spring last year, when the team failed to qualify for the NCAA Tournament, this year’s ranking comes as a surprise to few. Nevertheless, the low ranking has motivated the team.

“Last year we had a rough year [and] not a very deep team,” coach Mark Guilbeau said. “We had some kids who gave a great effort, but we had no depth at all. Unfortunately that’s where we finished and the reality is that is where we deserve to be. I hope we are 40 spots higher than that at the end of the year. It is certainly not where we want to finish.”

This weekend, on its home court, the team has a chance to begin anew. With fresh talent and the advantage of senior leadership, this new Virginia team has all the elements in place for a great season.

“Unfortunately, technically fortunately for us, a lot of people look at the rankings and say ‘Oh, 40,’ and then just take the court,” Rales said. “When they do that, we’ll be ready.”

Latest Video