No. 4

No. 14 Virginia will face toughest challenge of spring as Miami visits Davenport Field for decisive weekend series

Baseball fans across the country have begun to take notice of the Virginia baseball team, now the only remaining undefeated team in the country. This weekend, however, will put coach Brian O’Connor’s team to the test, as it faces off against one of its more challenging opponents, No. 4 Miami.

Despite their untarnished record, the Cavaliers enter the three-day matchup as an underdog, taking the back seat to a team that went to Omaha last year for the College World Series. The Cavaliers, however, have made success a habit this season, and O’Connor said his team remains confident.

“Obviously we want to keep the positive momentum going into this weekend against Miami,” O’Connor said. “They’re one of the top 10 teams in the country and they were in Omaha last year. It’s always important to win, but it’s important to have that momentum going into an important series.”

Miami will pose a stiff challenge, though. Weighing in with an overall record of 16-3 after winning 10 of their last 11 games, the Hurricanes have six players batting .300 or better. Junior Scott Lawson has been particularly impressive, notching 29 hits and nine doubles in his first 18 games. Miami also boasts a strong pitching staff, evidenced by its 2.86 team ERA. After claiming their first ACC title last year, the Hurricanes could have the upper hand this season against a young Virginia squad.

Despite their youth, the Cavaliers have yet to appear nervous. In fact, it has been the opposite — clutch hitting has become something of a team specialty. Fourteen of the team’s 21 runs this past week came with two outs.

“This team has taken an attitude of not being concerned about themselves, and picking a teammate up,” O’Connor said. “You’re gonna face tough pitching at this level, and you’re not gonna get the job done every time, but what’s important is the guy that comes in behind you that gets the job done for your team and drives in a big run.”

Another important factor contributing to Virginia’s success has been pitching, particularly that of freshman Danny Hultzen. Hultzen had 13 strikeouts in seven innings against No. 14 Florida State last week and enters Friday evening with a 4-0 record. Fans may have a pitchers’ duel to look forward to, as last year’s ACC freshman of the year and fellow left-hander, Chris Hernandez, will be on the mound for Miami.

“I know Miami will be ready for him [Hultzen],” O’Connor said. “He’ll be matched up by a left-handed sophomore by the name of Hernandez that was ACC [Freshman] of the year last year. Danny’s gonna have his work cut out for him, but I know he’s gonna go out there and pitch a good ball game and give us a chance to win Friday night.”

Virginia will start senior Andrew Carraway Saturday and freshman Will Roberts Sunday. Both have ERAs less than three, and Roberts has recorded 23 strikeouts in only 16 innings. The Cavaliers’ hitting also has shined so far this season. The team is batting .388 as a whole, and not a single starter sits below the .300 mark. O’Connor said he attributes part of the team’s success to its overall chemistry.
“This is a very tightly-knit group of guys,” sophomore pitcher Kevin Arico said. “We are definitely functioning as a team, without a doubt. It goes full circle ... every guy on the bench can come off and do the job, and every guy coming out of the bullpen, starting, whatever their role may be. Everybody’s coming out, executing, doing their job.”

Arico was particularly impressive last week, as he stepped in as the team’s closer when regular Matt Packer was used in middle relief instead. Arico had the first two saves of his college career Tuesday and Wednesday, both coming in close games. His ability to fill the position without a problem is indicative of the squad’s depth, something that has helped it stay undefeated.

“That’s what competition does — it creates guys to stay on edge,” O’Connor said. “There’s a lot of guys on our team that want to play. You’ve got guys like Bivens and Wermen that haven’t played a whole lot, and they’re hungry, and when they get opportunities, they come in there and they’re ready to perform. Depth is a really, really great thing on a college baseball team.”

Latest Video