Cavaliers defeat No. 2 Arizona, Mitchell has two strong games

The Virginia softball team went 2-3 in the Judi Garman Invitational last weekend in Fullerton, Ca., against some of the top-ranked squads in the nation.

The Cavaliers (14-12) opened the tournament with a 10-4 win against No. 23 Louisiana-Lafayette (16-10). Freshman Melanie Mitchell pitched all seven innings, recording 11 strikeouts along the way. Virginia roughed up the Ragin' Cajuns for a six-run fourth inning, and rightfielder Sarah Tacke and centerfielder Giannina Cippoloni each led the team with a pair of hits and RBIs.

Virginia's offense fell silent during its second game, as the team lost 1-0 to Fresno State (19-11). Mitchell allowed just one run while pitching the complete game, but the Bulldogs' Michelle Moses was the Cavaliers' kryptonite, tossing seven innings of scoreless ball and scoring Fresno State's only run.

The Cavaliers followed that close loss with another, falling 2-0 against No. 8 Oklahoma (25-6). Although Mitchell pitched seven innings without an earned run, the Virginia squad managed just one hit. The team ultimately lost on Dani Dobb's two out, two RBI double in the top of the seventh inning.

After that defeat, the Cavaliers suffered another loss, 8-4, to San Jose State (22-8). Led by freshman second baseman Alex Skinkiss' three-hit day, Virginia's bats awoke, tallying nine hits. The team's pitching was shaky, however, as senior Nicole Koren allowed eight runs through seven innings.

Virginia managed to end the series on a high note, upsetting No. 2 Arizona (25-3) with a 2-1 victory. Mitchell outdueled the Wildcats' star pitcher Kenzie Fowler, surrendering just one run through seven frames. Koren jumped on Fowler for a two-run home run in the first inning and provided all the support Mitchell needed for the win.

Virginia will return to Charlottesville this Wednesday for a game against Liberty.

-compiled by Ashley Robertson

Latest Video