London answers call

In 1979, the immortal words of The Clash - "London calling to the faraway towns [of Richmond, Va.]" - reverberated around the globe. In 2010, Charlottesville called for Mike London, and I hope it's not too soon to say he has responded. After just two games at the reigns, London has the Cavalier football team playing better than most in the ACC, including of course, the Hokies.

Just a week after London became the first Virginia coach since Bill Elias in 1961 to win his debut game, the Cavaliers persevered through a tight defensive battle against a top 25-ranked Southern California team in Los Angeles, losing by just three points. Clearly, London has this team playing with a passion that Al Groh was never able to extract from many of the same players. I probably would not be the first to say this, but I am already much more invested in this team than I was in the previous two I regretfully watched with Groh.

It was incredibly refreshing to watch London bring the Payne upon Richmond in this year's opener, giving us a taste of what was to come. Following the win, the entire team trotted to the student section to celebrate the much-anticipated victory with their fans. Groh's teams, on the other hand, were characterized by a disconnect with the students, seeing as he never treated the fans with such a celebration following the five home victories he provided during my first two years at the University. (There was the jubilation after the 2008 overtime victory over North Carolina, but in that case the exuberance was forced upon Groh's team by fans storming the field.) Before London faces his first real ACC test next Saturday, VMI will come to Charlottesville this weekend, fresh off a 45-0 rout at the hands of William & Mary to face its first FBS opponent of the year. If London's defense continues its stellar play, the Cavaliers should win this one handily - knock on wood.

It doesn't hurt that London knows how to motivate his players as well as his fans. The many degrees of separation between students and Groh has been instantly remedied with London at the helm. He even has his own Facebook page and updates it frequently with pictures and uplifting words. London's page is "liked" by about 880 Facebook users. That is an astounding 880 more fans than Groh can claim. London is also featured weekly on "Coach's Corner with Mike London," a radio program that can be streamed on the Virginia athletic department's website.

Still, the renaissance of the Virginia Football program began long before week one of the 2010 season. After Virginia's putrid play during the second half of last year's annual meeting with Virginia Tech, Groh's dismissal seemed imminent. Changes were felt immediately after London's hiring last December. The new coach made his presence in the Charlottesville community very apparent, making appearances at U.Va. basketball and baseball games as well as appealing to Charlottesville residents for their support during his inaugural season.

The effects of the new coaching staff should become more prominent during the few years to come. Each year, the team will be composed of more and more London recruits. London hopes to have more success with a task that Groh often struggled at - attracting Virginians who would have been expected to commit to Virginia Tech. Freshman quarterback Michael Strauss of Key Biscayne, Fla., enrolled at Virginia last semester to participate in spring practices and expedite the transition to college. As London's first recruit, Strauss looks to be one of many to come to rebuild the program successfully. As London himself posted on his Facebook page, "if you build it, they will come"

Latest Video