College football rights and wrongs

Think back to the days just before this semester began. This was a time when Charlottesville was still hot and humid, first-year students were about to soil themselves out of nervousness and Virginia football was on the brink of a renaissance. But although some things are guaranteed to change - like the colors of leaves on trees and the terrified faces of first-year students - outcomes in the realm of athletics are often difficult to foresee. Maybe in a few years, the success of the Virginia football program will be equally assured.

If you'd made a list in August of everything you expected to see during this college football season, you would probably have ended up looking like a fool even just two months into the season. If you thought this was Virginia's year to make a run, it's time to face the music: You were wrong, but don't feel bad. There are a number of events that have gone "wrong" and defied expectations during this year's college football season.

After seven weeks of play, the ACC is full of bad calls. First of all, after just 60 minutes into the season, national-title hopeful Virginia Tech's hopes were crushed following a loss to Boise State. Just five days later, the Hokies slipped from the rankings after a historic loss to James Madison. Other alleged ACC contenders Georgia Tech and North Carolina have also been something of a disappointment, largely stemming from, in North Carolina's case, players receiving benefits from agents. This trend has become much more visible after the sanctions on Southern California were enacted.

Things have gone "wrong" away from the Atlantic, too. From coast to coast, No. 1 teams are falling and dynasties are collapsing. During each of the past two weeks, the top-ranked team has lost a conference game. Although this happens just about every year in this sport, many fans and sportscasters alike had picked Alabama as the clear favorite to repeat as national champions. Well, the Crimson Tide went down, and just one week later, the newly top-seeded Ohio State - ranked second in the preseason polls - was defeated, as well. Meanwhile, on the West Coast, the first college football dynasty of the 21st century died in Pasadena. Southern California is a mere shadow of the team it once was in the wake of the Reggie Bush controversy. The Trojans are a team transitioning between coaches and are no longer quarterbacked by Mark Sanchez and Carson Palmer. I mean, they were nearly upset at home against Virginia.

Enough of what has gone "wrong" this year. One of the biggest expectations coming into the season was Boise State's potential championship run. So far the team has not disappointed. The Broncos have beaten ranked Virginia Tech and Oregon State teams en route to their current 6-0 record. Even the Virginia Tech win is looking good again as the Hokies have seemingly righted the ship as winners of four straight. But despite being ranked third in the preseason polls, Boise State currently sits behind Oklahoma and Oregon in the BCS standings. More will have to go right for the Broncos to continue their march toward the championship.

What else are we not surprised to see by this point in October? Well, Virginia sits in the basement of the ACC Coastal Division along with Duke, and Virginia Tech has retaken the first-place position as one of two ACC teams still undefeated in conference play. As no team deserves to be winless, Eastern Michigan collected its first win since 2008 and will go for its second in Charlottesville this Saturday. And there's still the least surprising news of all: Marc Verica has not thrown for more touchdowns than interceptions through six games.

Latest Video