Virginia will compete in Crippen

Men open season strong with win against Florida; seniors help freshmen class adjust to University life

Last season, the Virginia swimming and diving teams won their third consecutive conference championships and recorded top-10 finishes at the NCAA Championships. But the Cavaliers did not achieve one of their main goals: beating Florida, which finished fifth at the NCAAs.

It only took one meet in 2010 to rectify that problem, which had persisted for eight years. During the Oct. 11 meet, the Cavalier men romped the Gators 153-145, while the women lost by only two points.

"My first year we set two goals: beat Tennessee and beat Florida," junior Peter Geissinger said. "We didn't do either of those. Last year we beat Tennessee, and finally this year we beat Florida, so now we hope to have an undefeated dual-meet season. To beat a team that good when we're still broken down from training is a positive sign."

Geissinger said the Cavaliers will not become complacent with an early season win. Rather, they will maintain a strenuous training schedule in hopes of protecting their top spot in the ACC and matching last year's finish at the NCAAs.

Those long-term goals were put on hold, however, when former Cavalier great Fran Crippen, 26, passed away while competing in the 10K World Cup open water race in the United Arab Emirates Oct. 23. It is in the legacy of Crippen - an 11-time All-American, ACC Swimmer of the Year in 2003 and 2004 and Most Valuable Swimmer of the 2004 ACC Championships - that Virginia will continue to compete.

"Fran was our son and our brother in life and in sport," coach Mark Bernardino said in a statement. "His presence, vitality, courage, toughness and endearing persona have left an indelible mark on the lives of all of us who knew and loved him. There was and can only ever be one Fran Crippen."

Team unity will be important now more than ever, Associate head coach Chip Kline said upperclassmen have helped the new freshmen adjust to life at the University and learn the expectations associated with Virginia swimming. Such leadership undoubtedly will help the team move forward.

The Cavaliers certainly have the talent to continue the tradition of success Crippen embodied. Senior Scot Robison and freshman Rachel Naurath were named to the U.S. national team in September, while other members of the team will represent the country in international competition next summer, Kline said.

The team also has high hopes for senior Matt McLean, who finished in the top eight in multiple events during the summer at the U.S. Nationals. The coaches are optimistic the 22 freshmen will contribute, as well.

"[This freshmen class] has the opportunity to build on the foundation in place and help take the program to even higher levels of success," Kline said.

The men's team opens the home portion of its schedule tomorrow in Charlottesville against Navy at the Aquatic and Fitness Center.

"We expect a very spirited meet from the Midshipmen," Klein said. "They have a great coaching staff led by Bill Roberts and are the dominant team in the mid-major ranks of college swimming."

The women's team, which was scheduled to participate in the SMU Classic in Dallas, Texas this weekend, will not compete so it can attend Crippen's funeral service Saturday in Conshohocken, Pa.

A moment of silence will be held in Crippen's honor prior to the men's meet and each home athletic event this week.

Latest Video