Seven Society member Gordon Woody, Jr. dies

Bells toll for 1954 College graduate, orthodontist, Boy Scout troop leader

Dr. Gordon Ralph Woody, Jr., College alumnus from the class of 1954 and a member of the Seven Society, passed away Jan. 6 at his Danville, Va. residence.

Woody was born May 14, 1932 to Virginia Ayers Woody and Gordon Ralph Woody, Sr. in Danville. He married Jeanne Craig Gibson in 1959, said Don Webb, the director of communications at Woody's church, the Episcopal Church of the Epiphany.

Woody was revealed as a member of the Seven Society after his death, in accordance with the society's tradition, University historian Alexander "Sandy" Gilliam said. The University chapel's bells tolled Thursday to honor Woody.

"[The Sevens] have always been a benefactor to the University," Gilliam said. "[A number] of the people have contributed a great deal to the life of the University when they were students, and I don't just mean financially."

After graduating with honors, Woody served with the U.S. Navy from 1954-56 as a gunnery officer lieutenant aboard the USS Intrepid, Webb said.

He then went to dental school at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, after which he started an orthodontist practice in Danville in 1961. Woody retired in 1996.

He was a scout master with the Boy Scouts and a member of the Rotary Club. He also served in many positions at the Church of the Epiphany, Webb said.

Woody is survived by his wife, his sister, five children and many grandchildren. Services were held at the Danville Church of the Epiphany, on Jan. 11.