For the lust of the game

The year is 1932. It has been nearly three long years since the Great Depression began. It is the fifth inning of game three of the World Series, and Babe Ruth is at the plate. He makes a pointing gesture toward the center field bleachers and then belts a home run to dead center on the very next pitch.

Baseball had always been America's pastime before football gained significant popularity in recent years. Several decades ago, Americans tortured by the floundering economy escaped from their daily struggles by heading to the ball park. Their favorite players - Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Jimmie Foxx and Lou Gehrig among many others - all were there for the long haul and typically played for just one or two teams for the entirety of their careers.

Now flash forward to 2011. The economy is again in crisis, and we are in danger of a second recession in a few years. Professional baseball, however, is not filling the same niche as it had in the 1930s. Ticket prices are high and player salaries are monstrous, which generally holds true among all four major sports leagues. With nearly 10 percent unemployment and the bottom half of American income earners making average annual salaries of less than $30,000, it is astounding that NFL wide receivers - such as the Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald - can be handed eight-year, $120 million deals. When they reach free agency each year, players jump teams to chase the largest bonuses their agents can land them. The New York Yankees boast the highest payroll in baseball -

Latest Video