Squad shuts out Duke

Nearly 10 years after its last win at Duke, the No. 12 Virginia men's soccer team secured a 1-0 triumph against its ACC nemesis in Durham Friday night. The Cavaliers (4-1, 1-0 ACC) seized control with a goal moments into the game and exhibited a stifling defense which made that lead stand up the rest of the way.

During the second minute, Virginia put Duke (1-4, 0-1 ACC) on its heels with a quick strike from sophomore forward Brian Span. The tap-in by Span was set up by a cross from junior forward Will Bates, who pushed his team-leading assist total to three.

For the remainder of the game the Blue Devils desperately tried to tie the score and peppered the Virginia goal with 19 shots, including 13 during the second half. Freshman goalkeeper Spencer LaCivita made four saves to earn his second shutout this year. No save was more important than his rejection of an 88th-minute penalty kick by Duke junior midfielder Andrew Wenger. The foul in the box by Virginia was one of 24 penalties called against the Cavaliers.

Virginia returns home to play Liberty 7 p.m. tomorrow at Kl