Track teams finish fourth at ACC Indoors

The Virginia men's and women's track and field teams posted a pair of fourth-place team finishes at the ACC Indoor Championships in Boston last weekend.

The Cavaliers' day was highlighted by individual victories for seniors Marcus Robinson and Mark Amirault and juniors Morgane Gay and Pearl Bickersteth.

Robinson's opening mark of 53 feet, 6.5 inches in the triple jump stood up to earn the All-American his second gold in the event. Amirault led teammates freshman Chris Foley and sophomore Thomas Porter to a sweep of the 5,000 with a time 14 minutes 13.61 seconds.

Bickersteth won the high jump with a leap of five feet, 10.5 inches and Gay took first in a close mile race with a time of 4:41.40.

Sophomore Vanessa Fabrizio broke the Virginia record in the 800 during the prelims with a time of 2:07.43, and senior Anna Corrigan finished as runner-up in the 5,000.

Freshman Nick Vena threw a school record of 61 feet, 9.75 inches in the shotput for second place, while the 4 x 400 relay consisting of freshman Payton Hazzard, sophomores Anthony Kostelac and Ozzie Bryan and junior Lance Roller also earned silver. Hazzard, Kostelac and Roller teamed up with junior Patrick Todd to finish second in the distance medley relay.

Though the women's team title went to Clemson, Virginia earned its highest finish since 2003. Florida State won the men's championship.

-compiled by Ian Rappaport

Latest Video