Georgia Tech takes series from No. 5 Virginia baseball

Cavaliers lose rain-shortened game Sunday, drop first conference set

The No. 5 Virginia baseball team’s trip to Atlanta ended with an unfamiliar result Sunday as No. 17 Georgia Tech took the rubber match to hand the Cavaliers their first ACC series loss this season. After a 2-1 loss Friday, the Cavaliers took Saturday’s game 7-2 before falling in a rain-shortened game Sunday, 3-2.

Yellow Jacket (26-10, 11-7 ACC) senior starter Buck Farmer dominated on the mound Friday, pitching a complete game masterpiece while yielding one run. That performance negated a strong showing from Cavalier (31-6, 13-5 ACC) freshman starter Brandon Waddell, who lasted 5.2 innings and allowed two runs. Georgia Tech broke a 1-1 tie and forced Waddell from the game with the go-ahead run in the sixth inning — the final run of the game.

The Cavalier bats were much livelier Saturday, picking up five runs in the first four innings to take control. Just one week after his first career home run, senior second baseman Reed Gragnani doubled his total with a solo shot in the fourth inning to make the score 5-0. Redshirt senior starter Scott Silverstein struck out nine batters in seven solid innings while surrendering just one run.

The Virginia offense went cold again Sunday, picking up just two runs in six innings against Yellow Jacket sophomore Cole Pitts before the rain cut the series finale short. Georgia Tech used a two-run fourth inning to chase Virginia sophomore Nick Howard from the mound and take a 3-1 lead. The Cavaliers closed within one run, but after the rain delay, the game was called in the bottom of the sixth inning, giving Georgia Tech the victory.

The Cavaliers return to action Wednesday against Old Dominion at Davenport Field.

Latest Video