Rowing shines at Princeton Chase, takes second place

<p>At Lake Carnegie over the weekend, Virginia finished second overall in the Varsity Eight race. Brown bested the Cavaliers by a little under seven seconds.&nbsp;</p>

At Lake Carnegie over the weekend, Virginia finished second overall in the Varsity Eight race. Brown bested the Cavaliers by a little under seven seconds. 

The Virginia women’s rowing team Sunday secured a second-place finish with an impressive time of 14:21.485. At Lake Carnegie in Princeton, N.J., the Cavaliers finished with four boats in the top 28 out of a field of 59 boats.

The Cavaliers once again demonstrated their depth, with their Second Varsity Eight registering another top-10 finish with the number seven spot. With the time of 14:52.926, Virginia’s Second Varsity Eight placed ahead of Northeastern and Dartmouth’s A boats and ahead of Brown and Princeton’s B boats. Virginia’s final two boats finished 21st and 28th, respectively.

Brown finished first in the Varsity Eight race with a time of 14:14.672 to edge out the Cavaliers. Virginia’s top eight finished two seconds ahead of third-place Yale and 10 seconds in front of fourth-place Princeton.

The Princeton Chase is a headrace along a three-mile course on Lake Carnegie featuring programs from the ACC, Ivy League and other top conferences.

The Cavaliers continued their trend of recent dominance in Princeton, having finished either first or second in the last five Princeton Chases.

Virginia will cap off their fall season with their home regatta, the Rivanna Romp, Sunday, Nov. 13. Last year, the Cavaliers dominated with multiple first-place finishes.

Race time is set for 9 a.m. on the Rivanna Reservoir in Earlysville, Va.