No. 19 women's lacrosse defeats in-state rival James Madison

<p>Senior attacker Besser Dyson chipped in a hat trick to help lead the Cavaliers to victory over James Madison.&nbsp;</p>

Senior attacker Besser Dyson chipped in a hat trick to help lead the Cavaliers to victory over James Madison. 

The No. 19 Virginia women’s lacrosse team handled James Madison Wednesday night in a decisive 9-6 victory on the road.

This match marks the third-straight victory for Virginia — a feat not yet accomplished this season. The Cavaliers (5-4, 1-2 ACC) were able to pull off a 4-1 run after the Dukes (6-4) scored two goals early on into the first half.

Following the Cavalier run, the team never trailed for the rest of the game — due in large part to the defensive efforts of junior goalkeeper Rachel Vander Kolk. Vander Kolk, who averages 6.38 saves a game, had a noteworthy nine saves.

By maintaining possession of the ball — seen by the Cavaliers going 20-23 on clears — and making defensive stops though their 19 turnovers, Virginia was once again able to show its skill in keeping talented teams from finding the back of the net.

James Madison, who has shown that they can outscore an unprepared opponent as seen by its 14-8 victory over Richmond last week, was unable to overcome the defensive interference put up by the Cavaliers.

Virginia was able to prove that it has what it takes to face a difficult opponent on the road. Senior attackers Besser Dyson and Kelly Reese led their team offensively, scoring three goals each to lead the Cavaliers to victory. The hat tricks for the two seniors marked their second-consecutive game with three goals apiece.

Virginia will return to Klöckner Stadium Saturday to face Duke. The ACC matchup is set for Saturday at 1 p.m.