UJC finalized 24 cases in the spring semester, 21 cases pending

The Committee saw a 200 percent increase in the total number of cases processed, which included three against Greek organizations

<p>Three organizational cases were processed in the spring semester, all against Greek organizations.</p>

Three organizational cases were processed in the spring semester, all against Greek organizations.

The University Judiciary Committee processed 24 cases between Jan. 1 and May 8, including three organizational cases and 21 cases against students, per its Spring 2024 Data Report. There are 21 additional cases currently pending — three against organizations and 18 against students.

The UJC processed 16 more cases during the Spring 2024 semester than it did in the fall of 2023. The 24 cases processed by the UJC marks the most cases brought to the UJC in one semester since Spring 2021, when the UJC received an increased number of cases related to COVID-19 policy violations. 

The report shows an increase in Standard 1 and 2 violations of the University Standards of Conduct, which involve physical assault and threats to personal health and safety, respectively.

The mean case processing time was reduced from 105.5 days in the previous semester to 35.17. Just one year ago, the mean case processing time was 133 days. The median time also saw a reduction, going from 60.5 days in Fall 2023 to 17.5. 

Harper Jones, UJC chair and fourth-year College student, said in the report that despite a significant increase in the number of cases the Committee processed, it was still able to reduce its case processing times due to the work of Committee members.

“This is a testament to the tireless work of each and every member of the Committee,” Jones said.

Cases involving alleged violations of either Standard 1 or Standard 2 returned a determination of guilt in trial a combined 11 times. Of the 24 cases processed, 13 included alleged violations of one of the two standards — 54 percent of all cases. In Fall 2023, 14 of 18 cases included alleged violations of one of the two standards.

According to Jones, sanctioning for more severe violations, like physical assault, may be harsher when educational sanctions are deemed “insufficient” in protecting the broader safety of the University community. For this reason, the UJC issued its first sanction of expulsion in over two decades.

The most common sanction this semester for cases brought against individuals was the reflective essay, issued 20 times. The most common sanctions for organizations were rule changes, educational programs or presentations and notification of the national organization, used three times each.

Delta Zeta sorority was found guilty of violating Standard 2 and Standard 6, which pertains to violations of University policy. According to the report, the sorority was accused of having two members transported to the hospital for consumption of alcohol at a chapter event and for providing alcohol to those under the legal drinking age. Delta Zeta pleaded not guilty but was found guilty by the Committee for violating both standards of conduct.

The sanctions for Delta Zeta included a modification of its risk management plan and informing members of the change, a mandate to have sober members at each event, scheduling a presentation with the Gordie Center — an organization devoted to hazing prevention and awareness — and writing a 1,000 word essay to the chapter “reemphasizing the chapter’s role in the University community.”

Sigma Kappa sorority was found guilty of violating Standard 6 for playing drinking games at a Bid Day dinner with new members and requiring those under the legal drinking age to consume alcohol. The sorority pleaded guilty to the violation, and sanctions included changing future iterations of the event to be less centered around alcohol and modifying the chapter’s risk management plan.

St. Elmo Hall fraternity was found guilty of violating Standard 2 for gathering on a porch that was not in compliance with the Charlottesville Fire Department’s instructions and code and then throwing glass bottles at CFD officers who were responding to the violation. St. Elmo Hall pleaded guilty to the violation.

The sanctions for the fraternity included updating its risk management procedures to prevent access to the porch and a suspension in abeyance for any future standard of conduct violations involving use of the porch. The suspension in abeyance will remain in place until the porch is compliant with the fire code or after February 2027, if not compliant by then.

Three additional organizational cases are pending.