Several Virginia baseball alumni selected in the 2024 MLB Draft

Coach Brian O’Connor continues to send Cavaliers to the pros en masse

<p>Led by Griff O'Ferrall and Ethan Anderson, the Cavaliers huddled June 15 at the 2024 College World Series.</p>

Led by Griff O'Ferrall and Ethan Anderson, the Cavaliers huddled June 15 at the 2024 College World Series.

With several key contributors and prized freshman recruits having entered their names into the 2024 MLB Draft, Virginia’s roster has undergone significant changes. Gone are mainstays Griff O’Ferrall, Ethan Anderson, Casey Saucke and Anthony Stephan — to the Orioles, White Sox and Reds, respectively. Talented signees Caleb Bonemer, Bryce Meccage and Luke Dickerson were drafted highly and will likely forgo their college eligibility. Meanwhile, the future of a few more prospects is uncertain, but some are likely to play for the Cavaliers. The drafted players are all entering unique situations, but they are doing so with a sprinkle of hope that they will produce at the major league level and further promote the pristine reputation of Coach Brian O’Connor’s program. 

Griff O’Ferrall

Just as he always led off the potent Cavalier offense, O’Ferrall was once again at the front of the line for Virginia —  this time on the draft list. The talented shortstop was the first of Virginia’s prospects to be selected, going 32nd overall to the Baltimore Orioles with their Prospect Promotion Incentive pick. 

This landing spot is both a blessing and a curse. O’Ferrall is heading to arguably the best young team in all of baseball, one with an incredibly bright future led by MVP candidate shortstop Gunnar Henderson. But therein lies the problem — O’Ferrall will be blocked by one of the the best players at his preferred position. O’Ferrall could be a contender to become the heir of super-utility player Jorge Mateo — who plays second base plus all across the field for Baltimore — but still,  it will be difficult to claim a spot in the future Orioles lineup over other young talents. 

In addition to Henderson, All-Star Jordan Westburg occupies an infield spot, and the organization also holds Coby Mayo — the 15th-ranked prospect in baseball — plus Connor Norby, the ninth-best second base prospect in baseball. That duo is first in line for the last two infield spots. There is even the top prospect in all of baseball — shortstop Jackson Holliday — who will also get an extended look across the infield despite significant struggles as a rookie. Essentially, O’Ferrall will never see the infield barring some trade, injury or roster shakeup. 

There is also the possibility O’Ferrall himself is traded later on, but for now, he will get to learn from an elite coaching staff that has developed several of its prospects into everyday big leaguers. Worst case scenario, O’Ferrall could fight for that Mateo-esque utility role in the mold of another legendary Cavalier, Ernie Clement. 

Ethan Anderson

Anderson joined O’Ferrall as an Orioles draft pick, with the former being selected at 61st overall in the second round. Notably, Anderson became the 100th Cavalier to be drafted in O’Connor’s tenure, and he may have an easier path ahead than O’Ferrall. He was drafted as a catcher, and even though he will certainly not replace starter Adley Rutschman — who was drafted first overall in 2019 and is one of baseball’s brightest stars — Anderson could have a clear spot as the backup catcher after the July 30 trade deadline. The Orioles organization currently has Samuel Basallo, a catcher who is ranked as the 12th best prospect in all of baseball. That makes him an incredibly valuable trade chip, and if Baltimore wants to add some MLB talent to supplement its playoff push this year, Basallo is a strong candidate. 

Basallo holds far more trade value right now than Anderson, and if the former is traded, then Anderson suddenly has a very manageable path to the majors as Rutschman’s backup. Even if Anderson has to stick at first base or designated hitter, his raw power and talent as a switch hitter will help him succeed. The Orioles are currently a bit clogged at first base with Ryan Mountcastle and Ryan O’Hearn, but both are rapidly approaching the wrong side of 30 years old, and Anderson could be a future option. If Anderson repeats his 2023 performance, then he will soar to the majors rather quickly. 

Casey Saucke

Saucke, Virginia’s primary right fielder for the past few seasons, surprised many and rose up the draft board to be selected 107th overall in the fourth round by the Chicago White Sox — even though he has struggled in postseason play in each of his three seasons.  As for his professional career, Saucke will have abundant opportunities to make an impact, as Chicago’s 20th-ranked farm system is very light in terms of outfield prospects, and no qualified hitters on the major league roster have a batting average over .265. The White Sox are 27-71 this season and will likely continue to struggle going forward, meaning young prospects like Saucke will get plenty of auditions at the major league level. 

Unfortunately, Chicago has not been known for developing its prospects over the past few years. Saucke will not have the benefit of learning from elite coaches like O’Ferrall and Anderson will, but loads of potential playing time could help him display his talent against other prospects in the minor leagues. 

Anthony Stephan

Stephan seemed to be first in line to claim a freshly vacant spot in the Cavalier lineup, but instead of returning to school, he was drafted in the 13th round by the Cincinnati Reds despite never being a consistent starter at Virginia. 

His sweet left-handed swing and exuberant personality made him a valuable gamble for the Reds, who snagged him with the 389th overall pick. Stephan now joins former Cavalier Ethan O’Donnell as a talented outfield prospect in Cincinatti’s organization. Stephan will have a long road ahead of him to reach the major league roster with all the young outfield studs the Reds have, but his excellent work ethic and knack for big plays could propel him to reach “The Show.”

Recruits unlikely to play for Virginia

Unfortunately, Virginia lost a trio of highly talented freshman recruits on the first evening of the Draft. Because each recruit was drafted in the first few rounds, they will be offered a lucrative signing bonus and are almost certain to revoke their commitments to the Cavaliers in favor of going to the professionals. Infield commit Caleb Bonemer was selected by the Chicago White Sox as the 43rd overall pick, the Washington Nationals snagged infield commit Luke Dickerson 44th overall and the Milwaukee Brewers took pitcher commit Bryce Meccage 57th overall. 

Recruits who likely will play for Virginia

Despite the loss of Bonemer, Dickerson and Meccage, two additional recruits may be heading to Charlottesville after all. Pitcher commit Trey Gregory-Alford was present at Summer Orientation in Charlottesville, but the Los Angeles Angels drafted him in the 11th round. Within MLB’s draft slot system, Los Angeles will have to make Gregory-Alford a hefty offer far beyond the slot value of an 11th-round pick to sign him away from Virginia. It is likely that the talented pitcher will honor his commitment to the Cavaliers.

The Brewers then selected catcher and outfielder commit James Nunnallee — an in-state Virginia recruit — in the 13th round. Like Gregory-Alford, Nunnallee may decline a subpar signing offer and boost his draft stock by playing at the collegiate level for a few years. 

O’Connor’s program will likely get to keep at least a few talented incoming freshmen though, as a trio of Virginia commits are now almost certain to attend the University — most notably infielder Thomas Valincius, who removed his name from draft consideration, as well as infielder Aiden Harris and pitcher William Kirk. None of them were drafted despite their talents, which serves as a clear indication that they are coming to Charlottesville.

Guaranteed returners

If these committed recruits stay, they will be joining returning Cavaliers senior pitcher Jay Woolfolk and junior outfielder Harrison Didawick, as both players officially announced their intent to return to Virginia. As a result, neither of them were drafted, and O’Connor will now return his best postseason pitcher and one of his more talented hitters. 

Since O’Connor took over as head coach in 2004, Virginia ranks in the top five of ACC programs — and top 25 in all of college baseball — in sending talent to the MLB Draft. As prospective recruits consider where to play college baseball, O’Connor’s program certainly stands out as one that provides a clear path to the professionals.

As a handful of players have signed with professional organizations, the 2025 roster has an entirely new look. Starting spots at shortstop, right field and designated hitter are now up for grabs. Even with these holes to fill, fans can still expect the talented Cavaliers to once again compete for the College World Series as they have done for the past several years.