Two Virginia women’s soccer players called up for national teams

Cavaliers will be representing the United States and Croatia this summer on a global stage

<p>Sophomore midfielder Yuna McCormack started in every game for Virginia last season.</p>

Sophomore midfielder Yuna McCormack started in every game for Virginia last season.

Virginia women’s soccer had a pair of athletes selected to national team rosters, as sophomore midfielder Yuna McCormack and sophomore goalkeeper Victoria Safradin were called to represent their countries on the global stage. McCormack is headed to Athens, Ga. for the United States’ U-20 Women’s Youth National Team Training Camp July 8, while Safradin reported to Zagreb, Croatia Thursday to start training with the Croatian women’s national team. 

McCormack started all 17 games last season for the Cavaliers and tallied one goal and five assists on 23 shots, including a pair of assists in a 4-0 win against George Mason. Her skills will be put to the test from July 8 to July 16 during the training camp, which will also feature two games against Mexico July 13 and July 16. The current 24-player squad is set to be cut to 21 before the 2024 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup starts August 31, so McCormack’s performances in training and games will determine if she stays on the team. 

Safradin appeared in four games for Virginia last season, including two starts against George Mason and NC State. She is joining the Croatian squad during a crucial period in their season, as the team still has two matches remaining to try and continue its journey to qualify for the European Championship. Safradin’s first games with Croatia will be against Wales July 12 followed by a match against Ukraine July 16.