A beginner’s guide to U.Va. football

Never been to a University football game? Fret not, here is a breakdown for first years, upperclassmen and alumni alike

Virginia celebrates a touchdown against James Madison.

The best time of the year is almost here. College football is returning to Charlottesville as the Cavaliers take on Richmond Aug. 31 at 6 p.m. Hordes of fans wearing Virginia jerseys, orange crop tops, boots or items from previous giveaways will flood the lower levels of Scott Stadium for year three of the Coach Tony Elliott era. From information about home games to specifics about our team, here’s what you need to know about the 137th edition of Cavalier football.

Guide To: Scott Stadium

There are 12 regular season games each season, six of which will be played in Charlottesville. The aforementioned season opener is “U.Va. Strong Day,” where fans are encouraged to wear orange. The next home game is Sept. 12 against Maryland at 8 p.m. — a reprise of last season’s duel — and the theme is “True Blue” where fans should wear blue. The third home game is versus Boston College Oct. 5, and the theme is “Homecomings.”

The next home contest is Oct. 12 against Louisville, and the theme is “Breast Cancer Awareness,” where fans are encouraged to wear pink. The penultimate home game is October 26 with North Carolina on Family Weekend — which is also the theme. The final game in Charlottesville will be Virginia’s first against new conference foe Southern Methodist, November 23. The theme is “Senior Day” honoring graduating players and “Heroes Appreciation Day,” which is explained here.

During gameplay, it is tradition to sing the Good Old Song after the Cavaliers score. It is also common for fans to scream loudly when the opposing offense is on third down, with the intent of hindering their communication and ultimately ending their drive.

To get the most out of the Scott Stadium experience, students should stay for the duration of the game. On multiple occasions, there may be additional Sabre Rewards — which are points used towards free student tickets at men’s basketball games. Without attending home football games, it is very difficult to earn enough Sabre Rewards to receive a coveted men’s basketball ticket in the winter. 

Back to Scott Stadium, there are two designated student sections in the bleachers, plus the Hill. University student ID is required to enter the stadium. There are two free water stations, located in the Outer West Concourse and the Outer East Concourse plus several concession stands located throughout Scott Stadium to purchase food and drinks.

It is also important to note that Scott Stadium is a cashless facility, does not permit re-entry and has a clear bag policy. The stadium opens 90 minutes before kickoff, and it is recommended to arrive early in order to grab a giveaway item and have better odds of claiming the best seats. To learn more about Scott Stadium, click here for history and here for the official Virginia gameday guide.

Guide To: The 2024 Cavaliers

After learning about how Scott Stadium works, the next step is to begin familiarizing yourself with the Virginia football team. Keep an eye on The Cavalier Daily football page throughout the 2024 season to read in-depth previews, recaps, columns, features and more. Learning about football can be challenging, but the sports desk here at The Cavalier Daily has you covered. First, there are a few key figures to know.

Elliott is in his third season as the leader of the program, having accrued a 6-16 record over his first two seasons. Elliott’s tenure has been eventful. Before he coached his opening game two years ago, he lost tons of experienced players to the transfer portal. He started his first season with a disappointing 3-7 record, but the Cavaliers were competitive in most of their games. Then, tragedy struck as Lavel Davis Jr., Devin Chandler and D’Sean Perry were killed in the 2022 shooting. Running back Mike Hollins was also injured. Elliott and his program came together in support of their fallen teammates, and the final two games of the 2022 season were canceled.

In 2023, Virginia honored the three men with “U.Va. Strong Day,” and Hollins scored two touchdowns in the first home game since the shooting. Ultimately, the Cavaliers finished 2023 with a 3-9 record — second to last in the conference. 

Looking ahead at the upcoming 2024 season, sophomore Anthony Colandrea was named the starting quarterback Saturday over graduate student Tony Muskett. Each player started several games last year, and now offer different pros and cons. Expect both quarterbacks to receive playing time, but Colandrea has the upper hand for now.

The wide receiver position should be a major strength this season, led by senior Malachi Fields alongside junior Andre Greene Jr. and graduate student Chris Tyree. Sophomore Suderian Harrison, sophomore Jaden Gibson and junior Trell Harris should also be notable contributors.

The Cavaliers’ defense was a massive disappointment last season, as they surrendered over 30 points in half of their games. There are some talented individual playmakers like senior safety Jonas Sanker, but a crucial storyline this season will be how Virginia adapts to continue making good plays while also mitigating big yardage gains from opposing offenses. 

Most notably, the 2023 Cavaliers lost five games by just one possession each. Had they been able to win three of those games, Virginia would have earned a postseason bowl game appearance. All in all, the Cavaliers are not nearly as mediocre as their 3-9 record in 2023 suggests, and the building blocks are in place this year for Virginia to finally return to postseason play. 

At the same time, the pressure to succeed is ultra-high. The Cavaliers have not played up to their potential under Elliott, and no matter how his tenure is viewed, it is time to start winning more close games and stop letting winnable games turn into soul-crushing losses.

Now, after reading, the next step is to start watching football. Viewing games online and in-person are an essential part of understanding the cultural phenomenon that is college football, and an easy way to get the most out of your University experience.