Cavalier rookies to look out for this fall

These newcomers are looking to make an impact early in their careers

<p>Coach Shannon Wells with 2024 volleyball recruits.</p>

Coach Shannon Wells with 2024 volleyball recruits.

One of the best parts about being a Virginia fan is watching players grow into their full potential and achieve their dreams of competing at a higher level. While it may be heartbreaking to say goodbye to star players, their exit opens the door for new talent to arrive. 

Across the board, Virginia Athletics reigned in talent from across the country as well as abroad from countries such as the United Kingdom, Denmark, New Zealand, Spain and Argentina. Among those recruited to be a Cavalier, these rookies are future captains, playmakers, olympians and professionals. Here are a few who may become early standouts.

Virginia volleyball Coach Shannon Wells continues to build the foundation of a successful program. Recruiting the No. 26 signing class according to PrepDig, Wells found excellent additions for her team — notably, Sarah Brodner. Ranked as the No. 5 recruit out of Florida according to PrepDigs, Brodner provides Wells a variety of options as the 6-foot-5 freshman can play both outside hitter or right side.

Brodner excelled on the club level where she played for Jupiter Elite and participated in the USA Volleyball National Team Development Program. In 2022, she was named as an AAU National Championship All-Tournament Team selection and a year later was recognized as a 2023 AAU All-Academic honoree.

Turning toward Scott Stadium, Virginia football Coach Tony Elliot navigated the treacherous landscape shaped by Name, Image and Likeness that is college football recruiting and earned a total of 24 commits — 13 of which are three-star recruits. Among the 13, Grant Ellinger and Triston Ward standout as promising playmakers.

Coming at 6-foot-4 and 270 pounds, Ellinger will bolster the ranks of the experienced offensive line and learn from the veterans there. Ellinger is from Naperville, Ill. where he was first-team DuPage Valley Conference, league offensive lineman of the year and recipient of the Naperville Central High School Neil Stiefbold Award for outstanding desire and ability in athletics and scholarship. Additionally, Ellinger was named to DuPage Valley Conference Academic All-Conference Team.

Ward, hailing from Griswold, Conn., brings in plenty of talent to the wide receiver group. As a junior, he had 51 catches for 1,167 yards and 16 touchdowns, earning him the honor of all-league wide receiver. Ward was ranked the 8th overall recruit in Massachusetts and led his team to a Northeast Prep conference Championship his senior year as a team captain. Ward also competed in track, where he showcased a blazing 10.84 time in the 100m dash in the spring of 2023.

Moving on to the soccer pitch, both the men’s and women’s soccer teams have the reputation of being elite programs, and both brought in some star-studded recruits for this season. Both teams will now rightfully look to go far in the playoffs. The men’s team is looking to get their first championship title after a decade-long drought, and the women’s team is aiming to bounce back after not making the NCAA Tournament last year.

For the men’s squad, Coach George Gelnovatch secured Jed Akwaboah, a skilled three-star defender from Short Hills, N.J., Akwaboah captained the U19 Cedar Stars Bergen team to the MLS Next Finals, led his New York Red Bulls U17 team to the MLS Next playoff quarterfinals and led New York to the round of 16 in the Generation Adidas Cup. Last summer, Akwaboah spent time with Premier League’s Chelsea and Brentford training with them.

On the women’s side, Coach Steve Swanson recruited Sophia Bradley. Hailing from Wayne, N.J., Bradley was ranked as the No. 25 recruit by Top Drawer Soccer, named a 2023 All-American and set Wayne Hills High School’s single-season scoring record in 2022 with 32 goals. All four years in high school, she received first team All-Region, League and Conference honors. Bradley was also a USYNT U-16 Team member, U-17 Training Camp Invitee and ECNL First Team All-Conference in 2023.

Further down Massie Road, Coach Ole Keusgen will begin his first full year as the head coach for field hockey this season. He has been at work reshaping the team into a system that allows more freedom and creativity from his players compared to the former, more rigid system. To fit this change, Keusgen has found players that he believes will succeed.

Placed in Max Field Hockey’s Top 50, midfielder Catalina Quinteros is a member of the U18 Junior National team. The Miami native played in the U18 Four Nations Tournament in Leuven, Belgium, playing with the USA White team. As well, Quinteros won a bronze medal at the 2021 AAU Junior Olympics. Earlier in high school, Quinteros played soccer where she earned Miami Dade Region 4A second team her sophomore year.

A common theme across the newest Cavaliers is abundant athleticism, intelligence and leadership. Several 2024 freshmen will go on to lead their teams to winning seasons and compete for conference titles — plus ever-coveted national championships. With soccer season already underway and the other programs gearing up to start, this fall season should be very rewarding for Virginia.