Kate Douglass wins Olympic gold medal in the 200-meter breaststroke

Douglass broke her own American record to beat the field, becoming the first Virginia athlete to strike gold at the Paris Olympics

Class of 2023 alumna Kate Douglass became an Olympic gold medalist Thursday afternoon, taking first place in the women’s 200-meter breaststroke at the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris. The 22-year-old posted an American-record time of 2:19.24 to notch the 18th gold medal in Cavalier history.

Douglass, swimming in lane four, had to hold off a late push from South African swimmer Tatjana Smith, who won gold in the event at the Tokyo Games in 2020. The former Cavalier beat Smith to the line by 0.36 seconds and was in disbelief after the race, cracking a wide smile before turning to the American fans and giving them an emphatic fist bump. She backed out of the 100-meter freestyle, which she won during the Olympic trials, to focus on this event — a decision that turned out to be a smart one.

This is Douglass’ third career Olympic medal and second in Paris, as she grabbed silver in the 4x100-meter freestyle relay Saturday. Senior Gretchen Walsh was alongside Douglass on the relay team, and she won another silver medal in the 100-meter butterfly Sunday. 

Douglass will conclude her Olympic run this weekend in the 200-meter individual medley. The preliminaries and semifinals are set for Friday, with the final to come Saturday.