One must-watch game for every Virginia fall sports team

Every game counts the same in the standings, but these contests might mean just a bit more

<p>Women's soccer will battle No. 5 North Carolina on the road in September, when the Cavaliers will have a chance for a signature victory.</p>

Women's soccer will battle No. 5 North Carolina on the road in September, when the Cavaliers will have a chance for a signature victory.

As the 2024-25 academic year kicks into full swing, Virginia’s fall sports teams are readying themselves for the road ahead. Some have already begun play, while others are chomping at the bit to make their season debuts.

But there is one thing they all have in common — highly-anticipated contests that fall within jam-packed schedules. From rivalries to ranked matchups to potential upsets, this fall season is sure to deliver plenty of entertainment — here is one must-see game to look forward to from every fall sports team. 

Football — Oct. 26 versus North Carolina

Amidst another disappointing campaign for Virginia football in 2023, the highlight of the season came in hostile territory on the road against the Tar Heels, who were then ranked No. 10. The Cavaliers have a more forgiving schedule in 2024 than they did last year — their matchup against North Carolina in 2023 came several weeks after a season opener against SEC powerhouse Tennessee and just before matchups against Miami and Louisville on the road. This year’s rendition will be played in Charlottesville in the midst of Virginia’s toughest stretch — right after a road matchup against Clemson and prior to a two-game road trip against Pitt and Notre Dame. 

The Tar Heels present a much more approachable challenge than last season — North Carolina lost several key players, including their starting quarterback, Drake Maye, to the NFL. Virginia will not be favored in the game, but considering the nature of the back end of the Cavaliers’ schedule and their success in 2023, it is perhaps the most likely upset opportunity for an underdog Virginia team projected to finish in the cellar of the ACC.

Men’s Soccer — Oct. 19 versus No. 7 Syracuse

Two consecutive seasons of high expectations were marked by two disheartening early exits for Virginia men’s soccer. Another constant between those two seasons was losses to Syracuse in the ACC Tournament by the narrowest of margins, with both games coming down to penalty kicks. 

Success in the ACC Tournament does not necessarily assure success on the national stage, but for the Cavaliers, the first step towards returning to national prominence might be avenging old losses and banishing whatever bad karma remains from 2022 and 2023. The No. 7 Orange stand as a major roadblock on the path to relevance, as their Oct. 19 matchup with Virginia in Charlottesville comes in the Cavaliers’ penultimate ACC game of the regular season. Virginia will have plenty of motivation for that contest, with both revenge and postseason implications on the line.

Women’s Soccer — Sept. 27 at No. 5 North Carolina

Virginia women’s soccer may have just missed the postseason last year for the first time this century, but the program maintains high expectations. The United Soccer Coaches’ poll agrees, ranking the Cavaliers No. 21 in the country despite last season’s pitfalls. 

Of Virginia’s several top-10 matchups, a road date with No. 5 North Carolina looms largest. The Cavaliers lost 1-0 at home last season against the Tar Heels, so this year’s match in Chapel Hill, N.C. should be a good indicator of the squad’s improvement — or decline — since then. 

Field Hockey — Sept. 13 at Maryland

Fresh off a run to the Final Four in last year’s NCAA Tournament, No. 3 Virginia field hockey has a gauntlet of a schedule lined up to start the season. The Cavaliers are no stranger to early season challenges — last season, they faced eight top-25 teams in September alone. This year, the toughest challenge to start their campaign comes in mid-September against Maryland. 

The Terrapins handed Virginia its second of two consecutive ranked losses last year, and they did it in Charlottesville. Virginia faces a tougher test in College Park, Md. this season, but a road win against a former ACC opponent would help prepare the Cavaliers for a tough conference schedule.

Volleyball — Nov. 14 at Stanford

In three opportunities against ranked opponents in 2023, Virginia volleyball won just two total sets and dropped every matchup. Such was life during another middling season for the Cavaliers, who showed potential during their non-conference schedule but collapsed as the season progressed.

No. 5 Stanford poses an especially significant threat considering both its volleyball pedigree and the physical toll taken on east coast athletes traveling to the west coast for one match. It will be another opportunity for the Cavaliers to welcome their new opponents to the conference with a major upset on the road. 

Men’s Golf — Oct. 18-20, Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate versus Georgia Tech

Virginia’s only ACC matchup during regular season play comes in late October in Alpharetta, Ga. After falling to Auburn — the eventual national champions — in the NCAA Quarterfinals last season, the Cavaliers will need a strong regular season showing ahead of another postseason run. A tournament in prime golf country against an ACC opponent sets the stage for a beautiful weekend of golf with major implications for the rest of Virginia’s season. 

Women’s Golf — Sept. 4-6, Pan-Pacific UGSL Tournament

Virginia women’s golf will go overseas in early September, kicking off the season with a scenic tournament in Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan near Mt. Fuji. It does not get much more unique than that — a win in the shadow of one of the world’s most recognizable peaks would undoubtedly be an excellent way to start the campaign for the Cavaliers, who will play against collegiate-level opponents from Japan and South Korea in the event.

Cross Country — Sept. 14, Virginia Invitational

Winning on your home turf is always the goal, and in 2024, Virginia cross country will have two opportunities to accomplish that. First, the Cavaliers are hosting the Virginia Invitational in mid-September — the men’s team finished seventh and the women’s team third in last year’s event, leaving room to improve for Coach Vin Lananna and company. Following in mid-October, the Panorama Farms Invitational will also be in Charlottesville, and with cross country championships coming shortly after in November, a strong showing would set the stage for a successful postseason.