‘Undaunted’ Laughlin Ryan epitomizes what it means to be a Virginia Cavalier

The women’s soccer upperclassman has overcome excruciating challenges and is now finally receiving her time in the spotlight

Ryan defends for Virginia against Northwestern.

Graduate midfielder Laughlin Ryan suffered an ACL tear before ever playing in a regular season game for Virginia women’s soccer in 2020. The injury was a crushing blow, as she then had to rehabilitate her knee before continuing to adjust to the intensity of collegiate soccer. Going into the 2021 season, Ryan was finally able to play until she suffered a second ACL tear, this time on her left knee. This was followed by yet another ACL tear on her right knee in 2022. But now, after stepping back onto the field in 2023, Ryan is ready to prove herself and take her team to the postseason and beyond.

ACL tears are a one-way ticket to an athlete’s worst nightmare. When a player tears their ACL, the road to recovery can take upwards of 10 months, and when they return to the field, there is a slim chance that they will be able to succeed at the level they played at pre-injury. ACL tears are brutal in football and basketball, but they are arguably the worst for soccer. Soccer requires consistent running and a lot of sudden changes in direction — which the ACL supports by stabilizing the knee joint. 

Ultimately, Ryan missed her freshman, sophomore and junior seasons due to ACL injuries. She did not log her first career game minutes until her senior season in 2023. 

After years of rehabilitation, Ryan was able to play. She wore a knee brace and appeared in 13 games last year, logging 342 minutes in an admirable comeback campaign. Despite suffering the mental and physical agony of three consecutive ACL tears, Ryan continued to work back to health with a smile on her face and an unbreakable will to return to the pitch. Ryan also focused on her studies and lived on the Lawn last year — a testament to her work ethic. 

“I don’t think there’s a more inspirational player on our team,” Coach Steve Swanson said. “It’s an amazing story of the human spirit, that’s for sure.” 

Getting back on the pitch was a huge first step, but Ryan only recorded one assist and the Cavaliers stumbled through a disappointing campaign. While simply being on the active gameday roster marked massive progress for her recovery, one major milestone was still missing — her first career NCAA goal.

“I did fine, but it felt like surviving and not thriving,” Ryan said. 

Then in Thursday’s 2024 season opener, Ryan’s comeback story reached a new peak. Ryan netted a critical goal in a 2-0 victory against Towson. She finally got to celebrate with her teammates as a first career goal — four years in the making — came at long last. 

Ryan has served as leader for her team as well, rehabilitating alongside other players who suffered season-ending injuries of their own, like senior midfielder Lia Godfrey. Virginia unfortunately had far too many talented players sit out with injuries in 2023, but Ryan led the way as the Cavaliers sought to get healthy for 2024.

Now, Virginia is finally back to full strength. Junior forward Maggie Cagle, sophomore midfielder Yuna McCormack and sophomore forward Allie Ross are still at the forefront of the team, but Ryan and other returners could be the missing pieces the Cavaliers desperately need. Sometimes, the best additions come from within. 

In Sunday’s 2-0 win over Northwestern, Ryan logged her second straight match with over 30 minutes of playing time. So far, she is averaging 37.5 minutes on the pitch, a significant increase over her 2023 mark of 26.3 minutes per game. Swanson has shown that he trusts the veteran Ryan. She is going to be a reliable contributor as one of the first substitutions off the bench. 

Last year, Virginia just could not seem to get the clutch goal. The Cavaliers did not lose a ton of games, but their season was sunk by far too many inopportune ties. Now, Ryan’s ascension in 2024 just might coincide with Virginia’s road towards returning to the postseason. 

“I don’t think there’s a ceiling [to this team,]” Ryan said. “When we come together as a team, we choose our ceiling. We can go all the way.” 

Ryan’s long journey back to soccer has seen myriad setbacks, but her determination and grit proved indomitable. With a full season ahead for Virginia, having a healthy Ryan ready to play will make a significant impact as the Cavaliers attempt to mount their postseason redemption tour. Her comeback is commendable, and it is just beginning.