Virginia legend Kyle Guy is returning to Charlottesville

One of the greatest players in school history is back as an assistant coach

Guy celebrates a Cavaliers victory in the 2019 National Championship.

Kyle Guy is coming home. A legend synonymous with Virginia men’s basketball, the 2019 national champion led the Cavaliers during their title run by making clutch play after clutch play, landing him recognition as that year’s Final Four Most Outstanding Player. He has since spent three years in the NBA and two years in European professional basketball. Now, after retiring from basketball at 26 years old, he is coming back to Grounds — it was announced Wednesday that Guy will be an Athlete Development Mentor and Special Assistant to Coach Tony Bennett. 

“We are thrilled to welcome Kyle and his family back to Charlottesville,” Bennett said. “Kyle is not only one of the best players I’ve ever coached but also one of the finest young men I’ve met.”

Guy has been involved with the program post-departure by occasionally returning over the summer alongside fellow alumni to participate in a few Virginia offseason practices, most recently visiting a few weeks ago. Therefore, he is already familiar with the current roster and will now be more available to share his expansive basketball wisdom with a new generation of Cavaliers.

Guy joins former teammate Isaiah Wilkins and Cavalier alumnus Chase Coleman on the list of Virginia basketball alumni who are working as part of Bennett’s staff. Having coaches who have previously played for Bennett serve as mentors to younger players is a huge boost to a program that will deploy a wide array of new additions after the departure of Reece Beekman. 

Specifically, Guy will likely help elevate the team’s offense. In his playing days, the two-time All-American was especially adept at three-point shooting — an area that has not been a strength for Virginia in recent years. Guy shot 42.5 percent from beyond the arc as a Cavalier — the best mark in program history. Guy will also hopefully elevate dismal free throw shooting. Famously, Guy made three consecutive free throws with 0.6 seconds left against Auburn in the 2019 Final Four to ultimately win the game.

However, even before he played his first game at Virginia, Guy was special. He is still one of Bennett’s highest-rated recruits ever and scored 1,323 points in just three seasons with the Cavaliers. Combining Guy’s wisdom with talented scorers like junior guard Isaac McKneely is certainly an exciting prospect.

It is unknown how long Guy will stay in Charlottesville, but at least for the 2024-25 season, one of Virginia’s all-time greats will look to make a significant impact for the Cavaliers. 

“I want to thank Coach Bennett and [Athletic Director] Carla Williams for trusting me with the opportunity to come back and begin this next chapter of my life,” Guy said. “This was not an easy decision for me, but knowing how much love I have for this culture and community made it very clear where I should be with my family.”

As Bennett and company continue to prepare for a season full of rigorous matchups, this significant offseason addition to the coaching staff could pay massive dividends for a Cavaliers squad in need of a spark on the offensive end. When Guy returns to a full house at John Paul Jones Arena for the home opener in a few months, a thunderous ovation will await for one of Virginia’s greatest heroes.